USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
So you feel let down.... read on - mysam - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: So you feel let down.... read on - mysam (/showthread.php?tid=405225)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

So you feel let down.... read on - mysam - ArchivalUser - 04-28-2009

EVERY SUCCESS STORY IS ALSO A STORY OF GREAT FAILURE

Failure is the highway to success. Tom Watson Sr. said, "If you want to succeed, double
your failure rate."

If you study history, you will find that all stories of success are also stories of great
failures. But people don't see the failures. They only see one side of the picture and they
say that person got lucky: "He must have been at the right place at the right time."
Let me share someone's life history with you. This was a man who failed in business at
the age of 21 ; was defeated in a legislative race at age 22; failed again in business at
age 24; overcame the death of his sweetheart at age 26; had a nervous breakdown at
age 27; lost a congressional race at age 34; lost a senatorial race at age 45; failed in an
effort to become vice-president at age 47; lost a senatorial race at age 49; and was
elected president of the United States at age 52.
This man was Abraham Lincoln.
Would you call him a failure? He could have quit. But to Lincoln, defeat was a detour and
not a dead end.

In 1913, Lee De Forest, inventor of the triodes tube, was charged by the district attorney
for using fraudulent means to mislead the public into buying stocks of his company by
claiming that he could transmit the human voice across the Atlantic. He was publicly
humiliated. Can you imagine where we would be without his invention?

A New York Times editorial on December 10, 1903, questioned the wisdom of the Wright
Brothers who were trying to invent a machine, heavier than air, that would fly. One week
later, at Kitty Hawk, the Wright Brothers took their famous flight.

Colonel Sanders, at age 65, with a beat-up car and a $100 check from Social Security,
realized he had to do something. He remembered his mother's recipe and went out
selling. How many doors did he have to knock on before he got his first order? It is
estimated that he had knocked on more than a thousand doors before he got his first
order. How many of us quit after three tries, ten tries, a hundred tries, and then we say
we tried as hard as we could?

As a young cartoonist, Walt Disney faced many rejections from newspaper editors, who
said he had no talent. One day a minister at a church hired him to draw some cartoons.
Disney was working out of a small mouse infested shed near the church. After seeing a
small mouse, he was inspired. That was the start of Mickey Mouse.

Successful people don't do great things, they only do small things in a great way.
One day a partially deaf four year old kid came home with a note in his pocket from his
teacher, "Your Tommy is too stupid to learn, get him out of the school." His mother read
the note and answered, "My Tommy is not stupid to learn, I will teach him myself." And
that Tommy grew up to be the great Thomas Edison. Thomas Edison had only three
months of formal schooling and he was partially deaf.

Henry Ford forgot to put the reverse gear in the first car he made.

Do you consider these people failures? They succeeded in spite of problems, not in the
absence of them. But to the outside world, it appears as though they just got lucky.
All success stories are stories of great failures. The only difference is that every time they
failed, they bounced back. This is called failing forward, rather than backward. You learn
and move forward. Learn from your failure and keep moving.

In 1914, Thomas Edison, at age 67, lost his factory, which was worth a few million
dollars, to fire. It had very little insurance. No longer a young man, Edison watched his
lifetime effort go up in smoke and said, "There is great value in disaster. All our mistakes
are burnt up. Thank God we can start anew." In spite of disaster, three weeks later, he
invented the phonograph. What an attitude!

Excerpt from You can win by Shev khera.

0 - ArchivalUser - 04-28-2009

Below are more examples of the failures of successful people:

1. Thomas Edison failed approximately 10,000 times while he was working on the light
bulb.
2. Henry Ford was broke at the age of 40.
3. Lee Iacocca was fired by Henry Ford II at the age of 54.
4. Young Beethoven was told that he had no talent for music, but he gave some of the
best music to the world.

Setbacks are inevitable in life. A setback can act as a driving force and also teach us
humility. In grief you will find courage and faith to overcome the setback. We need to
learn to become victors, not victims. Fear and doubt short-circuit the mind.
Ask yourself after every setback: What did I learn from this experience? Only then will
you be able to turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone.

IF YOU THINK
If you think you are beaten, you are.
If you think you dare not, you don't!
If you like to win, but think you can't,
It's almost a cinch you won't.
you think you'll lose, you're lost;
For out in the world we find
Success begins with a fellow's will;
It's all in the state of mind.
If you think you are outclassed, you are,
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.
Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later the man who wins
Is the man who thinks he can.

Also from you can win by Shev khera.

Great post !!!

nice post....great job

Nice!

excellent post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sometimes we really need to read these. Thanks!

0 - ArchivalUser - 04-29-2009

after read this i just remember what happened with my friend on interviews, he was asked by the PD, why he fail the steps once
My friend answer
I did not fail, i find a way how no to study for the steps.....but after that he got 99 in both step 1 and 2 ck, that previously fail with very low scores.
The PD just smile and he got a prematch!

Face your mistakes with energy and enthusiasm......!
learn from them
use them for the future

as always ....mysam.....your post shine !

You are all welcome, we all have our ups and downs. Sometimes a kind word or deed can lift the spirit.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/4033687/You-can-win

Enjoy!!!!

Another example: Guiseppe Verdi failed the entrance exam for the conservatory...

I know that Donald Trump is controversial. He has a great attitude though. In his opinion, everyone experiences failures. People differ though in their approach how to deal with failures: http://www.amazon.com/Think-BIG-Kick-Business-Life/dp/0061548189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241031725&sr=8-1