USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
********* PSYchiaTRY Thread---2010 Match ******** - nono - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: ********* PSYchiaTRY Thread---2010 Match ******** - nono (/showthread.php?tid=444283)

0 - ArchivalUser - 01-13-2010

congratulations psychgua!! :O) Can I please have your mail id if you dont mind? mine is: indeigal. If you could , please email me there. Thank you.

To rad 2010:

I am just wondering why are you talking about HSS and Tufts like they badly want you to match with them and you are deciding between them.
I had Ivs at HSS, will cancel IV at Tufts because of pre-match. But I beleive that Tufts is better (didn't go there for)

irb: No prematches from these two programs! Smile I'm deciding which program to put first on my ROL, as I think I have a good chance at one of them. Of course, I might not match to either...

john2007: in my case research helped a lot. I have 99/99/pass, US phd (neuroscience), lors, no clinical experience, old grad. But I do have lots of little classes/presentations/etc in psych all throughout med school and after so i can show that I really am interested in psych. If I would have to go next year again to the match, I would apply to more programs and do some externship in the meantime. In your case, you seem to have all that, so just look for weak areas in your application. Maybe your PS? If you could step up your research in psych I'm sure it will help with university programs. I don't know how to get externship other to directly go to psychiatrists and ask them to let me work with them. This way you might not have to pay.

To rad 2010:

Some thoughts about Tufts.
I talked with one attending at SUNY Upstate (Syracuse). She did fist 3 years at Tufts, the last year at SUNY Upstate (moved because od her husband). She said that she had 90 + constant patients as outpatients at Tufts during the third year, at SUNY Upstate they have 20 + patients. The program is really busy but I believe is more prestigious than HSS.
But you wil have Harvard e-mail and Harvard in your Diploma at HSS.
My IV from Tufts came really late.

BTW, Did you get anything from PD from HSS about ranking or second look?

hi irb, thank you for your input. i got the same impression, residents at tufts are very busy (not to say overworked) even though none of them said so. 4 years is a long time not to have a life outside work. i got second look from hss.

to john: a tip from a friend of mine: he wrote PSs for each of his top 10 programs and got IVs from 4 of them. only the last paragraph was different, where he said why the program is a good fit for him and used the name of the program. if your PS is average (and most are... how original can you really be in the ps?), that personal touch makes people notice and remember your ps. don't know, but might be worth a try.

rad2010 : thank u so much! i am praying God to make it this yr! i got iv at average so so programs ...i hope i cud secure at least one with a top one! extern is tough to get and coz most of psych i spoke in phone were getin paranoid to give me a chance to shadow!! ps seems reasonable! i shud have thought about it! lets see! all we need is to get in! then we can show our ability and jump for a better opportunity!
all the best for ur matching too.

Does it mean that you are not going to be ranked by HSS if you haven't been invited for a 2nd look or been sent any note about being ranked highly by them???

Thank you and good luck! You're right, all we need is one opportunity.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.This is an ERAS message which is being sent to you on behalf of kenneth.certa@jefferson.edu.Please send all replies to the sender's e-mail address, kenneth.certa@jefferson.edu.A copy of this message has also been sent to your MyERAS Message Center.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dear Residency Applicant,We appreciate your interest in our program, but regret that we are unable tointerview all of the many qualified candidates who have applied. We receivedover 700 applications for our 7 positions, and were only able to arrange for100 interview slots. At this point our interviews are fully booked, and wewill be unable to schedule anyone further. If you have not heard from us bynow, we will not be able to work together this year.Good luck in your pursuits.Kenneth Certa, MDResidency Director

which program is this friends )))::::