USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
is it all over for me? - sohopeless - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: is it all over for me? - sohopeless (/showthread.php?tid=481150)

Pages: 1 2 3

is it all over for me? - sohopeless - ArchivalUser - 02-01-2010

Step 1 4th attempt 79
ck 3rd attempt 78
cs 4th attempt (the worst)
step 3 2nd attempt 76
grad >5 yrs
2yrs USCE 2002-04 (old)
US letters 4
research exp. 1.5 yrs
US citizen.

applied to FM/IM low key (well researched) programs nationwide with ECFMG certificate in hand.
no interviews.

everybody looking at attempts.
don't know what to do.
too hard to leave medicine, years of education and $$$$ at stake.
very bad situation.
regret having all those attempts.
so careless
so upset, so sad, so confused.

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-01-2010

tough sh!t,,, but there is always hope and there is always a future.
Pass some exams and start working as a physician's assistant or something and increase your network of knowing people who may have a say in getting you a position next year... i dunno.... just a thought.

gotta agree with dr dhakna. not gonna lie, its a tough situation but... make some connections... anything can happen. good luck man.

I am exactly in same situation like you. No it is not over yet. Don't give up your hope and try for scramble. you never know when luck will hit the jackpot. good luck buddy...

Look into PA and get some Hands on exposure, you will get your dues. My only question is won't it be 7 years already since you gave your Step I or Step II by then?

thank you guys.
thanks drdhakana. good advice. I have already been looking into PA stuff until this thing comes through i don't know when. hopefully somewhere along the line someone will pull me in, given that all the exam reuirements are already done with. It is extremely depressing to think of never reaching your goal and switching fields after doing so much.

Would I be able to just sit for the PA liscensing exam given my medical certification and experience etc?

--itsgottabetrue--: thnks for your response but just curious how do you know when i took my exams (?? 7 years ??) & what difference does that make aslong step 3 is in within 5 years of passing the first exam. the 5 year rule is not even true for all states. some states have no limitation. but all that doesn't apply to me anyways. your post not clear, but still thanks.

I would like to know about the PA program.I contact some of PA school they don't even want to let me appy without US prerequisite.Most of them don't consider USMLE certification.
I will appreciate any input for PA

give your email id .

I am not sure how PA certification works,,,, if it requires you to take certain courses or certain amount of time spent in training then be it so ... or else, find out if you can challenge the exam or some subjects during the PA training? If yes, get the books and get over with. It shouldn't be hard... plus you might get a starting salary of around $60K as PA..
.and here is another wildest of my thoughts ....

While you keep trying and working on a side (as a PA) to SAVE A LOT OF MONEY, ... get admission in some Caribbean med school ... like the Ross university ... spend two years on the beaches of Caribbean and next two years of rotation in USA, you are perhaps going to get matched since it's gonna already be more than 9 years of gap and it will allow you to re-take usmle.... after doing it from Caribbean, you are treated as an AMGs in USA...would u believe it?

@ sohopeless
I think that if its been more than 7 years that you got your ECFMG certificate then you need to give the exams again.