USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
general surgery after fellowship - satinsky - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: general surgery after fellowship - satinsky (/showthread.php?tid=488899)

Pages: 1 2 3

general surgery after fellowship - satinsky - ArchivalUser - 03-03-2010

hello all members of the forum. I am new to this forum and want to wish all of you the best for the coming match. I pray that all wishes are granted this month. I wanted to get some opinions from older grads and younger ones too about the possibility of doing general surgery after a fellowship. i am about to complete my multiorgan transplant fellowship in july and want to go into general surgery. I am an old grad with a MCh in GI surgery from India. I dont see any chance of getting a job here in the US without a board certification. I have 45 original publications, 95/93/88 in steps, age is 37. I am trying for a PGY2 or PGY3 spot. Has anyone done this kind of a reversed step before or are aware of this happening. Thanks for the inputs.

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-03-2010

@ satinsky,

GS cat positions are getting very competitive. Someone I know was lucky last year to get into Cat. PGY1 after completing his 2 years Tx Fellowship. The dilemma is, you complete your Tx Fellowship and you are lucky enough to find a GS spot(PGY1-PGY3),by the time you complete your GS residency and are BE/BC, you are away from Tx Surgery for a few years, and when you apply for a job, that works against you. Some people I know who competed their Tx Fellowship and after that were lucky enough to completetheir GS residency had to go back to Tx fellowship again for 2 years to make them a suitable job candidate which is sometimes difficult to do because of the visa issues. Even after all this effort, job in Tx is not guaranteed, as no.of new positions are far less as compared to the no.of Tx Surgeons graduating every year. If you like to discuss with me further, you can contact me at aminoacid69

9811734044 - ArchivalUser - 03-03-2010

hey r u from AIIMS ,wrking in San Diego?

9811734044 - ArchivalUser - 03-03-2010

@ satinsky
Would u b kind enough to evalaute your TX felloship? DO they actually train u well to do stuff by yourself or it is like internship , and at the end of two years they throw the ASTS certificate at you, sthg that u really cannot use in real lifer u at UCSD , MCh .................if u are on a J1 then the Honorable ECFMG will not let you go back to residency come what may, as this, to thier Majestys at the ECFMG, is "regression", a word which they learnt a few years ago. On a J1 there will always be ten thousand impossible rules and regualtions that you wl b asked to meet

thanks all, i kind of expected these responses
golgi you are right about all you say. its hard to decide now what to do. i cannot do any more fellowships. thats clear. i am looking at all possibilites

9811734044 thanks i am from aiims but not in SD i am in Penslynia. first year is tough they train us well. We work like interns, chief residents and attendings. Kidneys in first year skin to skin and livers in second year skin to skin. Pancreas 5 per year the fellow ends up doing the anastomosis. I heard about these J1 rules too. lets see what hold for us.

Hi satinsky
am doing GS after MS
cud give u some details later
i am on call tomorrow and have to catch some sleep today

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-04-2010

thanks right_doc.look forward to your response

Hi Satinski,
I hope you are doing well, gl for your journey. How can one get such position? I would like to try it. I know I can get one if I try but I want to know how? thanks

imright, TXP match is through NRMP, and its not that competitive like other fellowships. There are many IMGs in the match. If you have your general surgery training you are eligible for the match. Its one good way to gets hands on experience in the US, added its got all GI stuff going on.

@ satinsky

All Surgical Fellowships in US are very competitive. Statement which is more appropriate for Tx Fellowship is it is relatively less competitive. They prefer candidates who have completed a GS residency either from back home (MS) or from Europe (MRCS) and preferably do not require visa sponsorship. Publications are a plus. There are just 75 positions all over US, out of which around 30 are taken by the AMGs which are usually in the best Tx programs. IMGs fight for the remaining left over positions.