USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
kababayan ka ba na magpapa-match? - jocapmd - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: kababayan ka ba na magpapa-match? - jocapmd (/showthread.php?tid=519163)

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-13-2012

congrats sa mga kababayan na na-match. sa mga hindi nakapasok, eto lang ang kinopya ko from another poster. laban pa rin!

peds1985 posted this:
Guys,

I have been at the other side- till not very long ago... I passed out in 2009, decided to write the australian medical council exams, gave step 1 and did pretty well. from then on things went downhill...

i spent a whole lot of money on the exams and then going to australia looking for jobs and doing a bridging course to prepare for AMC 2 in the time being... 2 months later I got back to my home country- no job and nothing. The fact that I was a fresh graduate meant that I wouldnt get a job just with the first step. The reason for doing the bridging course was because it was considered a criteria for getting earlier dates for AMC 2. When i decided to give the AMC exams the waiting period was 8 months. You could get a date earlier if you were a fresh graduate (which i was), did a bridging course (which i did). But I still didnt get a date for AMC 2. I waited for 18 months after my first AMC exams before finally giving up and doing the USMLE.

I was working two shifts at a hospital doing a Junior Resident job when my batchmates were either getting into post graduate courses in my home country or preparing for the USMLE exams. Finally at the end of 18 months I decided life was going no where. I decided to give the USMLE. It meant I would have to start from scratch. My batchmates had a head start, most were giving interviews or had hardly joined. The say success has many enemies, failure has no friends. Couldnt be more right. All of a sudden I found my circle of friends dwindle. People decided this was the time to settle old scores, speak rot, do character assassinations as I couldnt defend myself. A lot of how people are with you is governed by how successful you are. And I wasnt. People took advantage of it.

Luckily for me I had my family and my best friend's support and a couple of other friends. Its funny- its times like this that people you least expect to help, would help you out. I found out about the process, prepared for the exams. Didnt do too well for the step 1 (219) (As i had started late, i rushed it- i had to plan to finish everything by september right?). Paid a whole lot of money for 'Volunteer experience', arranged for observerships and decided to go to the US. luckily for me the step 2 ck was ok (245).

But God wasnt done testing. My visa got rejected. To this day I dont know why. I remember the hoplessness that I felt when that happened. It was something totally beyond my control. I was depressed and really worried. It was May begining- I had day for the CS exams in June. No other slots were available till august and that meant i wouldnt be able to apply on the 1 Sept. It was at this time that I read a post on one of the usmle forums about this guy whose visa got rejected 5 times before being finally approved. The way the guy spoke about his experience gave me hope. I applied for a visa again and was given one for three months 2 weeks before my CS exams.

At the POE the officer turned out to be someone from my home country and I requested him for a stay of 6 months so that I could finish my I.Vs as well and leave once and for all (I wasnt sure I could go through the stress of applying for a visa and going thru a rejection again). I was granted one. I would have to leave before Dec 15.

That meant scheduling interviews early (had to literally beg 2 pgms to fit me in). I attended 11 out of the 14 ivs. I was offered a prematch on dec 2. It meant I had to give my step 3 (my pgm offered a h1b) before i left. I didnt do too well (219).

The struggle is far from over. I have my visa to be issued and i wont be optimistic till i am on the flight to the US. My pessimism is the gift from the 3 yrs of hell...

The reason I am writing this is to tell you guys not to loose hope. Circumstances change. I went thru the same emotion of despair. I lost my faith in god (I stopped praying for a while), but then realised that he is the only one who i can completly trust. And that helped. The cycle of bad luck will change. All it needs is time, faith, perseverance. Everything will fall in place in the end. It has to. I kept telling myself- 10 yrs down the line, I look back at the feeling of hoplessness and laugh. If you guys are going thru hell now, I am sure things will be much brighter in the future. I knows its cliched and impossible to do it now (and some of you might curse for saying it)- stay positive. eEverything will work out. All is well and wisely put. All it needs is time.

Prayers,

congrats sa mga kababayan na na-match. sa mga hindi nakapasok, eto lang ang kinopya ko from another poster. laban pa rin!

peds1985 posted this:
Guys,

I have been at the other side- till not very long ago... I passed out in 2009, decided to write the australian medical council exams, gave step 1 and did pretty well. from then on things went downhill...

i spent a whole lot of money on the exams and then going to australia looking for jobs and doing a bridging course to prepare for AMC 2 in the time being... 2 months later I got back to my home country- no job and nothing. The fact that I was a fresh graduate meant that I wouldnt get a job just with the first step. The reason for doing the bridging course was because it was considered a criteria for getting earlier dates for AMC 2. When i decided to give the AMC exams the waiting period was 8 months. You could get a date earlier if you were a fresh graduate (which i was), did a bridging course (which i did). But I still didnt get a date for AMC 2. I waited for 18 months after my first AMC exams before finally giving up and doing the USMLE.

I was working two shifts at a hospital doing a Junior Resident job when my batchmates were either getting into post graduate courses in my home country or preparing for the USMLE exams. Finally at the end of 18 months I decided life was going no where. I decided to give the USMLE. It meant I would have to start from scratch. My batchmates had a head start, most were giving interviews or had hardly joined. The say success has many enemies, failure has no friends. Couldnt be more right. All of a sudden I found my circle of friends dwindle. People decided this was the time to settle old scores, speak rot, do character assassinations as I couldnt defend myself. A lot of how people are with you is governed by how successful you are. And I wasnt. People took advantage of it.

Luckily for me I had my family and my best friend's support and a couple of other friends. Its funny- its times like this that people you least expect to help, would help you out. I found out about the process, prepared for the exams. Didnt do too well for the step 1 (219) (As i had started late, i rushed it- i had to plan to finish everything by september right?). Paid a whole lot of money for 'Volunteer experience', arranged for observerships and decided to go to the US. luckily for me the step 2 ck was ok (245).

But God wasnt done testing. My visa got rejected. To this day I dont know why. I remember the hoplessness that I felt when that happened. It was something totally beyond my control. I was depressed and really worried. It was May begining- I had day for the CS exams in June. No other slots were available till august and that meant i wouldnt be able to apply on the 1 Sept. It was at this time that I read a post on one of the usmle forums about this guy whose visa got rejected 5 times before being finally approved. The way the guy spoke about his experience gave me hope. I applied for a visa again and was given one for three months 2 weeks before my CS exams.

At the POE the officer turned out to be someone from my home country and I requested him for a stay of 6 months so that I could finish my I.Vs as well and leave once and for all (I wasnt sure I could go through the stress of applying for a visa and going thru a rejection again). I was granted one. I would have to leave before Dec 15.

That meant scheduling interviews early (had to literally beg 2 pgms to fit me in). I attended 11 out of the 14 ivs. I was offered a prematch on dec 2. It meant I had to give my step 3 (my pgm offered a h1b) before i left. I didnt do too well (219).

The struggle is far from over. I have my visa to be issued and i wont be optimistic till i am on the flight to the US. My pessimism is the gift from the 3 yrs of hell...

The reason I am writing this is to tell you guys not to loose hope. Circumstances change. I went thru the same emotion of despair. I lost my faith in god (I stopped praying for a while), but then realised that he is the only one who i can completly trust. And that helped. The cycle of bad luck will change. All it needs is time, faith, perseverance. Everything will fall in place in the end. It has to. I kept telling myself- 10 yrs down the line, I look back at the feeling of hoplessness and laugh. If you guys are going thru hell now, I am sure things will be much brighter in the future. I knows its cliched and impossible to do it now (and some of you might curse for saying it)- stay positive. eEverything will work out. All is well and wisely put. All it needs is time.

Prayers,

peds1985 posted this:
Guys,

Prayers,

peds1985 posted this:
Guys,

Prayers,

peds1985 posted this:
Guys,

Prayers,

peds1985 posted this:
Guys,

Prayers,

peds1985 posted this:
Guys,

Prayers,

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-14-2012

hello mga kababayan...sana maraming kababayan ang namatch..nung isang araw pa ako gusto magpost di ako makapagpost d2..ano nangyayari...

nakapasok rin sa radiology

2012 grad
249/252/-
CS-1st attempt

goodluck sa lahat

I am bumping up this post & all others in order to get the SCAM entitled "Psychiatry Residency Openings (FMG Friendly)" off the 1st page.