USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Psychiatry 2011 - nono - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Psychiatry 2011 - nono (/showthread.php?tid=530288)

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-18-2011

Tmd
I was not aware of budget cut at Toledo.
Houston.....have their own psych hospital with 250 inpatient beds.... 7 incoming residents.....Most programs have on average 30-40 inpatient beds for about 5 residents, that way academic learning is achieved rather than just working like a zombie for weird hours. I think you have to make sure u hit the right balance for inpatient beds and number of residents. I think it's important, might not be for others.
If you really want to be in big city.... Then Houston will be good .....whether u get the time to do activities associated with big city is another thing.

I had a interesting exp at a IV.... Was a big city program... The PD gave a slide show with 4 slides dedicated to city activities.... And after showin them he said don't worry much about it as you will not get any time for thatSmile))

New Mexico is in middle of nowhere... If you are fine with that, you should be good. Lot of hispanic population, I am not sure if u have to use translators for most part of day how would ur clinical skills will develop, especially for psychiatry where communication is so important.

It's ur call if the above factors r imp to u.

Good luck!!!!

Nono

Kansas..... For sure than mehrary....

good luck

@Bruster: THANK YOU soo much!!!! I totally get it!! Thanks for all the time mate!

Anyone wants to chip in please? Please!!!

@nono: I live in Nashville, so mayb I'm a bit biased but Meharry is crap! I don't know abt kansas though

@paho

Replied you back Smile

@docsinformn

why peoria is above metrohealth ?

Hi guys!

It´s me again...My rol is getting clearer so I´m happier!hahaha Please help me with the following programs: (reputation, fellowship opportunities, location, teaching and overall happiness)

University of Virginia vs Harvard South Shore (Both J1)

and

Westchester vs University of Buffalo

Thank you!

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-19-2011

Harvard South Shore >>University of Virginia

University of Buffalo >>Westchester

Thank you imagination!

I think University of Virginia is way better than Harvard South Shore. HSS actually doesn't have a great reputation among psych PDs, and UVA is a proper university program. Plus, at HSS you'll be driving alot (the IM rotation in Framingham is a 45min-1hr drive during intern year), and their PD is relatively new. Plus the majority of your experience will be at the VA, though you will be able to do some rotations at beth israel, children's and mclean (not mgh though)- again ots a long commute snice HSS is in Brockton (not Boston)

Don't get me wrong- HSS is a good program (but its not like the other Harvard programs that are actually in Boston), but I would goto Univ. Virginia over HSS. Plus, Univ. of Virginia is more competitive (Harvard South Shore basically interviewed everyone....). Most people didn't get IVs at Univ. of Virginia

In the the end its about how you felt during the interview. Which PD did you like better? How did you like the facility and residents? Its a personal decision.....but from an academic standpoint I think Univ. of Virginia trumps Harvard South Shore. Remember its all about ranking your personal preference higher...in the end you'll be fine going to most programs Smile

Just go with your "gut"

This is just my personal opinion of course

Good luck!