USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Psychiatry 2011 - nono - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Psychiatry 2011 - nono (/showthread.php?tid=530288)

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-29-2010

Hello all I am an FMG from India, I am an old graduate.... graduated in 2003.
With low scores and attempts: 80/78 2nd attempt/pass/77 2nd attempt.

Have been applying since 2006, 2007,2008,2009 and now in 2010 I do not need a visa as I have an EAD/work permit.

I have done an externship in IM and have done observership in Psychiatry and currently doing an externship in psychiatry and have 4 US LORs.

I am losing my hope and thinking if I have to go for MPH or something else as I am being unsuccessful in getting into a residency.

I have applied for psychiatry last year and also this year...... I did not get any interviews last year and am still waiting to hear from programs this year.......

Anyone please let me know if I still have a chance in getting into residency or should I plan for something else.........

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

They should make it mandatory for programes to update candidates about their application. Atleast we would not have false hopes.

@ last_hope

get USCE preferably psychiatry/neuroscience from a good place 6 months or more (if you can't get get psychiatry/neuroscience research but is not so good)
MPH works somewhat for FM

anyone with any interview or rejection this week

ii it too late to apply to psych programs? have most of them sent out Ivs? i am getting no love from IM.

ross 10' 89/81/cs 2nd/us citizen/ecfmg certified/ one psy LOR. 1 psych core and 1 elective. both A's.

chances getting Ivs in psych?

bazinga : my opinion, your creds are good, you should apply. However, how you have worded your CAF is key..if it shows your interest in IM then I dont know how psych programs would call you...since they primarily look at interest in psych....I think justifying your interest in two programs is hard!
anyway - good luck with whatever you decide!

on an another note....14 days since the last iv and nothing..not even rejections, barring one from st lukes roosevelt sometime last week..i am tired!

I/V - St. Louis

Initially, I was going to apply to both psych and Im but did not apply to psych because of limited funds. No, I am not cheap just did not have the money. Now, I just got some and thinking applying to some psych because I am very scared of not matching at all. I wrote a different ps for psych and hoping to gt a few here and there. I do have genuine intrerest in psych. I did an elective afterall in forensics.

I guess I will apply to some and see what happens. But thanks for taking the time to write. I appreciate alot. Good luck to you as well. God knows were all in the same boat.

it's been awhile since I posted but hear is my update

I got 4 psych IVs

- Henry Ford
- University of Lousville, kentucky
- (BSOM) Pitt County Memorial Hospital (east carolina university)
- today I got IV from university of Hawaii

so does anybody any info from these programs? it will help alot!!!! hehe hawaii??? me in hawaii thats funny but i really didn't think they would IV me...it's gonna be expensive to go all the way there...oh gosh....do they take IMGs??? any info will help guys

best of luck!

@ loveme007:
what r ur credential dear... when did u apply and how many programs.
Thank you so much...
waiting for reply