USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
IV experience of each places, IM 2011 - shomolangma - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: IV experience of each places, IM 2011 - shomolangma (/showthread.php?tid=542574)

Pages: 1 2

IV experience of each places, IM 2011 - shomolangma - ArchivalUser - 10-22-2010

Let's share the experience in the interview along this topics;
- rough schedule and orientation
- time peiod
- other activities i.e. lunch/dinner, tour, conference
- iv questions**

**I know that for iv questions, so many people don't want to share because it'll enhance other people chance to compete with you. But you should know that although the same question, you'll still be different because the quality of answer must get along with your unique CV to reach the admiration from PD or interviewer. Anyway, it's all your right and idea to share. GL to all.

0 - ArchivalUser - 10-22-2010

hey shomo, sorry dude, this thread of yours is not going to be as popular as your other IM post Smile. BTW, bump it up, we should have only ONE major post to be of any use.

Thanks for starting up this topic Shomo......

I am sure there are some kind souls on the forum who will take time to share some info about there interview experience.

shomolangma my new dear friend,

I would share the info with you.

if I get a prematch, i'll tell you all about all the other places. otherwise no way. That's not being kind, that's being dumb. If we were able to make it this far than I'm sure we're not dumb. Telling you would give you an advantage over me and that would not be cool

hopefulapplicant2011,

why would it be dumb exactly? I have been sharing alot of info with zillions people...the more I share the more it comes back to me...

@ hopefulapplicant2011

Just letting others know what the interview schedule was like, whether you liked the hospital environment, etc would not harm you in any way.

actually it would, for instance say that I really liked University of Kansas iv and I wanted to rank them 1 but my scores are low 80's. I come on here and post something like the place was great, faculty were amazing, people were generous, etc....

Next thing you know, 2500 applications will be sent the next day to U of Kansas program with credentials of 99/99/99. I for sure know the program just increased its standards and I'm screwed out of a position. think for a second.

hopefullapplicant2011,

ok, got your point..I share my info with my new best friend shomolangma and his associates then...it will be my pleasure.

Internal Medicine ISP UPMC

very friendly faculty and staff, great academic place, upmc is THE medical center in pittsburgh, hence you get to see a lot. intensive care supposedly in the main montefiore campus, hence same experience as categorical candidates.

everyone tried hard to make the case for the program. they really wanted to minimize the differences between the UPMC montefiore/presbyterian vs ISP curriculum.

internal fellowship placement is good - except for cardiology. no ISP candidate ever matched in UPMC cards. however, even UPMC categorical candidates have a hard time to match internally.
in some cases isp grads wanted to move for personal or research/job reasons.

re q's:

- what was my biggest road block and ultimately "defeat" in medicine/science. how did i try to overcome it.

- talked about european vs. american vs. asian history and medical/research systems

- why do i want to become an academic physician..

- how would isp enhance my career. what particularly do i expect to get from it

- asked about my current research projects, how i collaborate with different research staff/faculty and companies

if i was to be offered a spot i would be very inclined to accept it, despite the cardiology issues which would suck for me.