USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Psychiatry Rejection & Interview thread - examusmle - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Psychiatry Rejection & Interview thread - examusmle (/showthread.php?tid=611214)

0 - ArchivalUser - 12-20-2011

@tmt

Did you hear anything from them. I got a reply from PD after one week of my IV. It was more like a generic mail. During Interview, one of the residents told me that they have already offered some prematches in November. I am not sure what's the status now.

0 - ArchivalUser - 12-21-2011

@abc1234567
Dear abc1234567,
Could you plz leave your email contact at akachan10 ?
I need your help with info.
Thanks,

@golden 11
I heard from the pd 2 days after my interview ... Mine was in November... I am not sure what do you mean by generic...

Any one interviewed at university of okhalaoma I have interview coming up... Please share your experience

@examusmle: so did u get the prematch offers from your spouse's university/city/state.
Also can anyone let me know if one wants to take transfer in PGY 2 is it voilation of match. Does anybody know someone who has undergone same situation, not just in psychiatry. What will the PD say if i let him/her know that i'll be wanting to take transfer within 3 months of joining.

Anybody willing to throw light on this.

Also has Harlem given its prematches?

It's not really that easy to transfer to another program.
I transferred as PGY2 (finished first year in program where I signed prematch). you should have very good reason. Mine was - my spouse got a job in another state. They knew me very well at my current program because I had interview with them and was ranked high. So, it was easy.
But I was scared to death to talk to my PD and chairman about the transfer. I knew about possible transfer since fall but told them only in February.

1. Are you already a PGY-1?
2. No, it is a match violation to switch residency after you have completed the first year.
3. Although, you may upset your PGY-1 residency director by switching, you may have to tell him/her early in the process for the following reasons:
a. many programs that you apply to for PGY-2 positions will need LORs from your pgy-1 PD
b. some programs, ie yale asks that you have to show proof that your pgy-1 PD is aware that you are seeking a position elsewhere.
c. even if you don't disclose your intentions to leave, PDs from the PGY-2 programs may call up your PGY-1 PD. Medicine is a small world where PDs often know each other.
d. It is better to let your program know early that you are leaving so they have enough time to look for a replacement. It would also be hard to interview-how are you going to take time off? Also by being secretive, your PGY-1 may be more upset to find out later that you were sneaking behind his/her back.

Hmm... so its not that easy after all. I just wish to get matched closer to my spouse.
Thanks irb and belleandsebastian for throwing light.

@irb most places who accept candidates in PGY2 require to put up application in october-nov. Means I join residency in july 2012 and if i want transfer, i have to apply in oct 2012 to get transferred to PGY 2 position which would start in 2013....right?
so it means i will be completing my first year at univ X and then taking a transfer to univ Y, so it's a match voilation? Please clarify

I am not irb, but I am going thru this process now. I got my pgy-2 spot for july 2012. I would also recommend putting in your application close to sept 1 as possible, as these positions are outside of the match. (Even with next year's all-in policy, pgy-2 spots are exempted from being in the match.)

No, it is not a match violation if you want to switch to a different program for PGY-2 in july 2013 if you accepted a PGY-1 spot for July 2012. It is only a match violation if you take a spot that starts july 2012 outside the match, but you stayed in the match or got another spot that starts july 2012 through the match.