USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Psychiatry Rejection & Interview thread - examusmle - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Psychiatry Rejection & Interview thread - examusmle (/showthread.php?tid=611214)

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-15-2012

@morris81

Ok, now I'm confused. They went into the regular main residency match with a quota of 6 and came out with only 50% of that quota filled (3 out of 6)--the remaining three spots, if they were eventually filled, were either filled by scramble or sometime after match and before July 1. Prematches (if they offer them which i am not sure they do) do not factor into this at all becuz they would have been given out before the match and thus would not be reflected in that quota of six which was provided to the nrmp before the match. You can google the "list of unfilled programs 2011" to see what i'm referring to.

In terms of the prgm being all IMG or mostly IMG, that doesnt concern me at all. In fact, that's good news for us IMGs. I guess the prgm prefers IMGs and thus ranks them higher and the AMGs that iv there do not like the program all that much and rank it low.

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-15-2012

@morris81

lol...sorry, didn't see ur latest post prior to making my latest comments.

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-16-2012

@morris

Not really related what you were talking about, but actually only graduating AMGs (those graduating in may/june) are not allowed to take prematches. Prematches can be offered to and accepted by IMGs, DOs, and AMGs who graduated before (those graduating in Dec., or those switching specialties/programs)

@windingriver

I mailed a very helpful resident from U Missi. (The one whom I had met during the Pre IV Dinner) and asked him about what might have been the reason for the program not being able to fill its quota. He accepted that he cannot give an accurate description of financial or accreditation status of the program (Which in my observation and PDs openion appears to be sound), but he said that most likely the cause is the program not ranking sufficient number of candidates. That certainly does not answer the question why those positions were not filled even in scramble.

I wonder thogh...if some shitty programs like Nassau can match completely....how in the hell U missi doesnt ??

@Belle...

Yes Belle...you are completely right. But lets just consider numbers..going by match percentage of US grads..how many of them do you think have to wait well beyond their graduation for Residency? So in ALMOST ALL the cases..the pre match will be offered to IMGs, cos MOST of the AMG applicants cant be offered those.

@morris81

Oh wow, i didnt know that they didnt fill these three remaining spots even thru the scramble. That is pretty alarming and raises a few red flags in my mind.

Hi @bellesebastian

In the previous post you mentioned about EAD. I will be in the green card process soon, I want to ask some questions. Could we talk over e-mail or skype pls?

Anyone hear from Penn State/Hershey PD about ranking etc.?

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-17-2012

I found out psychiatry is one of the most unfilled residency specialty. However, I think that is cos of programs scrutinizing applicants to such an extent that only genuinely interested people in the field match in. And like it looks from this forum,they want people with previous training in psychiatry too.

where did you find out? in 20th century news paper?.. just kidding, I am not seeing anything like this in last year data.

Sorry folks for posting wrong information:

The U Missi did not fill its position through match because it apparantly did not rank sufficient number of people.

But all the 3 remaining positions (Out of 6) were filled in scramble in no time.

@windingriver

PLease remove the red flag....

Hope you have not certified the ROL already