USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Psychiatry Rejection & Interview thread - examusmle - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Psychiatry Rejection & Interview thread - examusmle (/showthread.php?tid=611214)

0 - ArchivalUser - 10-01-2011

great credentials

hi abc1234567,

i agree what you said. what if you say, i have an accent. the patients did nto understand well. that is why i have been attending private language and speech clinic. my accent had been improved significantly, i passed it on my second try.

is having an accent the same bad as hard to adapt to a different culture?

y wud u say all that ... psych ppl r good at adapting y wud u wanna put it suc a way that it becomes a negative for u ?
i wud say i improvised on my weaknesses and passed it the second time and its history now!!!
... just dont get into too much detail ...u wud rather have the next question which wont be negative for sure !!
trust me they know ur accent and they know psychiatrists who have accents!!!
if they specifically ask u then give that answer

@ morris81,

I know you are not going to like this...I mean everybody here trying to give you some advice, but whatever you do, please don't use the word 'paternalistic'. I'm sorry but it really sounds misogynistic. I would suggest you use something like 'parent and child', it's more neutral.

Cheers!

there is nothing wrong with paternalistic ..its an approach in patient physician relationship !! and it doenot sound misogynistic atall!!

abc1234567,

it is hard to find the fine line about what to say and what not to say. many psychiatrists want to know the detail, especially regard the issues that are significant, such as ...

@abc1234567

I really don't want to get into any argument with you here, i thought that was inappropriate and said it. When you say 'paternalistic', it sounded to me as though you are basically saying, in our country moms don't have any rights as a parent! And as a woman I can sense that.

You are free to say whatever you like in your IVs. I will keep my mouth shut:-)

oh God i am quoting a fact here there r different types of doctor patient relationships
1.autocratic
2.paternalistic
3. Doctor as agent
4. patient yielding autonomy
if u use the word paternalistic it refers to :
the general practitioner listens to the patient, believing that a doctor who appears to listen is a more effective doctor. The general practitioner genuinely wants the
best for the patient, but believes that patients often need to be
guided firmly through the decision making process as they do
not always know what is best for them.

u r not sitting in a living room and using this word in front of ppl who wud not know the meaning of it in terms of doctor physician relationship... u expect the interviewer to know the above mentioned approaches ...
having said that this was just for the purpose of discussion i already gave u my suggestion morris!

sij if they take u there and ask u a question u have no choice but most of the time u r taking them wherever u want to !! good luck!

very good fellas, i like when you guys keep sucking......