USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Psychiatry Rejection & Interview thread - examusmle - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Psychiatry Rejection & Interview thread - examusmle (/showthread.php?tid=611214)

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-17-2011

way to go Morris with your review of your interview. I think we should all posts our thoughts after our interviews. I will post some of mine later.

1. interview accommodations/food
PC doesn't give any details until 3 days before interview! (this really made me feel like my time was not very important to them .) No pre-interview dinner; no breakfast; lunch in hospital cafeteria.
2. interview day -- Long interview day from 830am to 5pm.
5 interviews: 1 with chief resident; 1 with PD; 3 with other attendings; class with Dr. Kolansky on psychoanalysis. the morning is spent at albert einstein medical center in north philly; afternoon at Belmont-a non-for-profit private psych hospital on the outskirt of philly. Transportation via taxi- a lot of waiting and traffic. Lunch with one residents. Tour with another. Didn't get a chance to meet any first year residents .
3. Program overview
It is a community program that has lots of therapy training. There is not many research opportunities. Residents either go into private practice or child and adolescent psychiatry-most of them end up at Jefferson, it seems.
Einstein only has a small inpt unit; most inpt work is done at Belmont. Calls at Einstein seems easy, but calls at Belmont (second years) can be tough. At Belmont, you are the only resident on call for admissions and 150 patients (geriatrics, peds, adolescents, etc.) in the hospital. According to a resident, sometimes, there are 10 admissions over a 12 hour call. No caps. There is back-up, but the resident hinted that no one calls backup?! Lots of dual diagnosis patients. You are first call for all 150 patients. If pt needs more medical care, you have to call 911! jefferson do their inpt psych here, but don't take calls here.
All interns do IM for 4 months from July to November, then join the rest of the residents in psych. Starting this year, interns will take call with a second year residents (who do not seem happy with this.)
4. Faculty
PD seems accessible and tries to do best for residents. Dr. Kolansky is well respected in the Philadelphia area for psychoanalysis.
5. Location, lifestyle, etc.
Einstein is not the greatest area of Philly. Residents complained about driving back and forth from Belmont and Einstein due to the traffic in Philly.
Most residents are married with kids, so not sure how much they hang out together. But they do seem like a cohesive group.Many DOs and IMGs-all very bright.
6. Benefits
Many different insurance options-some without resident contribution.
7. Program strengths
Psychoanalysis; good exposure to bread and butter cases; lots of experience with dual diagnosis patients
8. Potential weaknesses
Not much research; no forensics rotations; not sure how easy it is to get a fellowship other than childs. Not sure how supportive the more senior residents are to the junior ones.
belle54321 is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

@balleansebastian,

Thank you so much for putting so much effort to share ur interview experience.

Yeah, I totally agree with all your points. I exactly felt the same thing when the PC kept sending one line abrupt emails, whenever I requested more information about the interview schedule. I was beginning to think they were gonna cancel it since I didn't hear from them until before 2 days of the interview.
I was surprised to know that the other candidates by attended on the same day also had similar experience.

Wat this means.?
I got a positive feedback from u,, n u wud fit very well,,,
And I would lve to hv u join us in July.
Can I now ask for prematch? Plzz help me understand this...

Love to hv u join us In July I mean...

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-18-2011

rejection from Cambridge health alliance.

No I/V for the last 16 days. I am starting to get a little worried.

abc- they did not actually say sorry 5 times, it was just a figure of speech. LOL.

Cisplatinum- I think you should definitely follow this up with an Email and hint at a prematch.

hehehe yeah i am sure y r u clarifying ?!!
Good luck guys !!

i did send an email to them... do i need to do anything else? Sad
confused...

I got a reply that If you happen to choose our program I am sure you will be an assest to our program.Is it a general or have some meaning.

Should I reply back or just kept quite.if reply what should I reply.

You input will really help me.