USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Has anyone got in with only cs and step 1 scores? - indianchic - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Has anyone got in with only cs and step 1 scores? - indianchic (/showthread.php?tid=645863)

Pages: 1 2

Has anyone got in with only cs and step 1 scores? - indianchic - ArchivalUser - 01-10-2012

Hi! I am having a problem planning my schedule here.
I am a US Citizen Img...preparing for step 1 now...
This is my 5th year after graduation.
I have no USCE. I worked 2 years at a clinic in my home country (outside USA)
I have one attempt in CS already.

To save my YOG , I would like to apply this year...but I am not done with y step 1 prep completely. The pattern of CS patient note is going to change in June...and if I have to apply this year I shud be done with CS by May.

My question is when should I regsiter for my exams if I want to apply this year...so that I dont lose a year.

I am aiming to do step 1 by march but if i need more time then how should i schedule step 1...and if i have scheduled cs in may I will have to break from my step 1 prep and go into cs prep in april. What should I do if I am not prepared with step 1 by march?

If I come back to study for step 1 again after may it will take me few months again to finish step 1....by august....Then I will have only scores of CS and step 1 by september 1st to apply....Then when will i take my ck....in december?

Will I be able to save this year? Can some help me schedule my exams please?

0 - ArchivalUser - 01-10-2012

can anybody advice please....

5 - ArchivalUser - 01-10-2012

If I were you I would take CS first for two reasons:
1 - you are worried about patient note changes (and other changes to the exam?)
2 - it can take up to 3 months for the result to come out

So I would study hard and get CS out of the way in February. Then use February, March, April to study for Step 1 and write it by the end of April/early May.

Then use May, June, July, and take the CK by early early August.

Ideally, you want to have ALL scores in by September 1st, or whenever ERAS sends out applications on day 1. This is vital for IMGs.

yes AMGs

yikes...february is next month!!...I havent started looking at CS yet after failing it the previous time....Do you think taking it before step 1 and ck must have affected ( and will affect again ) my passing CS?

Thanks.

can we apply with step 1 and ck scores only?

becoz if i go in order and take my step 1 by april , ck by end of july and cs by end of september, can i send in my application on september 1st with step 1 and ck scores?

It depends on your knowledge-base. If you have forgotten quite a bit from medical school,. then yes it may be wiser to do the CS later.

If you are almost ready for step 1 or are getting there, then proceed with it. If you take step 1 by March, try doing the CS a month later. CS is literally knowing the first aid book very well.

You need at least May-July to study for the CK so that you can take it in early August and have your score early September.

I can't emphasize the importance of having all usmle results in by early September. You want to apply when you have all results in hand. As an IMG, if you apply with one result missing, many programs will ignore your application. The very first time a program looks at your application, you want it to be complete so that they can make a decision right there to IV or not.

"can we apply with step 1 and ck scores only?

becoz if i go in order and take my step 1 by april , ck by end of july and cs by end of september, can i send in my application on september 1st with step 1 and ck scores?"

You can but you are hurting your chances. If you take this path you better have great step 1 and ck scores or some great things in your application. Nothing will stop you from sending your app, but I'm sure more than half the programs will look at it and say well there's no CS result, her YOG is years ago, we can't bother to wait....

Because of you have been out of school for a while now, I honestly feel your only legitimate shot is to have all scores in by early september. Send in a COMPLETE application, unless you know somebody in a program that is ranking you #1 guaranteed. Prematch is gone next year.

I know it seems scary, but it's doable. You just have to make these USMLEs your life. Eat, sleep, breathe, bathe, drink - USMLE.

I HIGHLY recommed getting USCE asap. Try working at a program you think you have a shot interviewing with.

If I try to fit USCE in my schedule right now , it will just leave me with no time to study...I will do USCE in the fall after all these exams...I already have one attempt in CS....I cant afford to fail any more exams.

February CS is not possible...I need at least 2 months prep to back into that hell test again with confidence.
I could go for March CS....But then that pushes everything down by one month....,i.e., step 1 by end of june and ck by end of septembr....

see this is the change in patient note that they are doing :

http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/practice-materials/patient-note/new-cs-patient-note.pdf

Do u really think it is something i need to worry about.....I can take my step 1 by end of april and then cs by end of june and then ck by end of september or something like that...

Do you think this change in CS will make it tougher?...