USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
what r my chances for 2013? - enemylife - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: what r my chances for 2013? - enemylife (/showthread.php?tid=649479)

Pages: 1 2

what r my chances for 2013? - enemylife - ArchivalUser - 01-24-2012

these r some points regarding my profile, i had to miss this yrs match due to my repeated cs debacles...kindly give me an honest opinion

pluses
1. 2011 grad
2. done electives in multiple spclts in US
3. no gaps in cv

minuses
1. cs 3rd attempt
2. step 1 and ck both in low 90s
3. need visa

should I try for IM or Psych or Ped or Neuro or FM?

0 - ArchivalUser - 01-24-2012

forget about it!

3 cs attempts!!??

no PD in his right mind would ever consider u for an interview.

really? so shud i forget about residency and consider it to be a bad dream and consider the thousands of dollars given to ecfmg as donation for some charity work in haiti???

i forgot to mention my biggest plus - NEVER SAY DIE attitude....

try to explain your attempts in your personal statement

if you can explain properly why you had so many attempts, you can still go ahead
it seems uv already made up ur mind with ur never say die attitude so i dont think you shud care what others have to say
how can u give up on the match when u havent even tried? give it a shot and then take it from there
GL!

@deepangelosaxman
can u pls explain how one can do that.. for eg. for one attemt and say an avg score in another, how does one really explain it in a personal statement...? im asking coz many ppl say u can do this.. but iv never understood how... like where in ur PS shud you squeeze that in..? isnt the PS supposed to only be abt ur interest in the field ur applying to etc...?
pls explain id really appreciate more info on this
thanks
GL!

thanks satori, i too hav my doubts regarding the ps stuff and as far as i hav understood the american system till now, ps are never read untill the day of ur iv.

Can anyone comment which spclty should i apply to im or fm or psych or neuro or ped? Any expert comments on this regard would be highly appreciated...

hmm yes i hope the ps part can explained by anyone here..

some programs i know firsthand do read the ps before the iv but yes its true manyread it on the iv day so it depends

in my opinion FM wud be ur best shot and then Psych

lets c what others say as well

GL

never be fooled into thinking a specialty is 'easy' to get. i think fm, im, psych, peds, are competitive. if you don't have a passion for a specialty, i think it would be reflected in your application package...ie, the electives you choose, LORs,.etc.

you definitely need to address it in your PS, i think. good luck and don't give up.

okay, thank you for ur responses. I am yet to gather some usce in fm and psych. So shud i pursue fm and psych from now on or try having some more usce in im-ped-neuro?