USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Pathology residency for an IMG pathologist - trojanraggy - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Pathology residency for an IMG pathologist - trojanraggy (/showthread.php?tid=772913)

Pages: 1 2

Pathology residency for an IMG pathologist - trojanraggy - ArchivalUser - 03-23-2014

I am a PGY3 Pathology from India. I want to join pathology residency in US. I have read to lot of posts on how to get matched for pathology residency, what they ask in interviews and stuff like that!
I am still to complete an year of my residency in India and after that I will join in some teaching institute and simultaneously prepare for steps. I will give step 1 after my PG final exam. After that I will take ample time to brush up my clinical subjects and go ahead for CK. Then probably after 1 month of some clinical externship(again to brush up my lost clinical skills), I'll appear for CS...I am planning to complete all my steps before 2016 match. After that I'll decide whether to apply directly for 2016 match or wait for an year and try n get some US experience in pathology with hopes of getting LORs and apply for 2017 match

I just wanna share why I feel I have good chances of matching for pathology-

1. I am confident and I have my pathology degree back-home to fall back to! So I will apply only for pathology residency and won't consider applying for FM etc. It will be a targeted and precise approach. I am sure it will reflect in whatever I utter in my IVs

2. Step 1 - Might become easier for me coz of my extensive knowledge of pathology, immunology and good hold on anatomy. Still I will devote 4-5 sincere months before I appear for it.

3. Getting observerships in pathology can now become a bit easier as I am already a pathologist. I can offer much more help to a PD than a simple graduate student IMG/AMG. I can work more efficiently to deserve the LORs I desire.

4. PDs are mostly interested in your "interest" toward the subject. I have a "passion" for pathology. So much so that I am ready to pursue the same residency twice. I am sure PDs will make this distinction between interest and passion

5. By 2017 my YOG would be past by 6 years but out of these 6 years, the last 5 were spent in pathology(I think while you are in pathology IV, 5 years of pathology even if itz in India would sound better than some clinical externship in US), so I will enter the interview with a 5 year experience in pathology (AP/CP). I don't think YOG would be a big hindrance.

6. Another thing I came to know of was that the PDs ask you which books have you read for pathology. The site mentioned we should always say Robbins. Well I also checked out the books that a pathology resident in US reads. I have already read all of those books and by the end of 2015, I would have read all of them twice, may be 3-4 times by the time I am called for an interview in 2017. I think this will leave a strong impression on the PDs. I am ready to face pathology related questions too in my interviews

My shortcomings could be -

1. Step-2 CS, not becoz of English but because I am out of touch. But I am determined to make it up. My father is a physician. I'll train under him for few days.

2. Visa - Nobody can do anything about it.

3. If I don't get US LORs despite working days and nights(I have heard these things happen)

4. YOG could be a problem but I think I'll get it covered

5. I do not have any contacts in US, no first degree relatives, no US doctors.

I gave a detailed description of my USMLE plan here coz I want some genuine suggestions, some genuine criticisms and may be some US slang words (those that I can learn). You guys are far too experienced than me and may be some of your suggestions would surely increase my chances of matching! Thanks in advance! Have a good day!

P.S. I'll proceed for CS only if I get a 90+ scores in both steps, so having low scores is out of question.

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-23-2014

I will start with your first dose of US idiom. Break a leg!

I think you need to set strict timeline for taking the step tests and it need not be in order. Scheduling for CS will be very hard if you start your application very late since all the AMGs will take the test at the same test centers. There are only five test centers in the States and the available seats will be filled months before the examination. You need to apply for permit before you could schedule the exam and you need to wait for the result for a long time(The USMLE official can delay the release of test result for any reason they have so don't schedule everything too tight.) Another thing is the VISA for taking CS if you need it since it is not a thing totally in your control. Obtain the ECFMG certificate before you start your application is a crucial part for getting IV.

You need to be very careful in planning for CS and you can even take it before step 1 or step 2 CK just to be sure you can finish it and get the certificate. I personally face the problem of scheduling for CS and can not get it done in time so delay me a year for the application. The test centers close for a while for the new format of test and the report of result also delay so there are just too many uncertainties you need to deal with. Because of the delay in application, I took step 3 and get the result before my application. I am not sure whether it help me or not but 2 to 3 programs mentioned about my step 3 during the interviews.

For past clinical experience outside of United States. I would say it is helpful but most IMGs who applied for pathology have it and some of the them have PhD degree. It is good to have experience in Pathology but be careful not to be overly confident in yourself just because of your past experience. Good luck to you and hope you can succeed in pursuing your dream.

I don't think which kind of books you read or how many times you read it would be an interview question. I don't think Robbins would be good enough for a pathology resident. It is good for students but clearly not enough for residents and PDs will not ask this kind of question.

The most frequently ask questions are " tell me about yourself", " Why do you choose pathology", " where do you see yourself in 5 years or 10 years" etc.

My main suggestion would be to focus on one thing at a time. Don't even bother thinking about interviews yet.. the time for that will come!

And I know you view your pathology experience as a plus, and while I agree that you should absolutely be positive about it, don't negate the significance of clinical externships/observership and US LORs. They're completely different things. The reality is that sometimes PDs don't give a **** about any clinical experience outside of the U.S.

And finally, Step 1 is tough. 4-5 months of dedicated studying should certainly be enough but don't think it's easy whatsoever.. be prepared for a battle!

Other than that.. stay positive and good luck!

I am also from pathologist from india with teaching experience for 4 yrs, was quite like you where you want to settled in 2015 march...and got matched.
I don't know how old are you, it seems from your post that you are a man with lots of confidence.
I don't know from which part or from which college you are....but it seems that you are not from PGI or AIIMS or any other premiar govt institute....correct me please if I am wrong.
There is no 2 more digits score in USMLE...still this is a peaty easy exam for Indians who cleared MCI PG entrance exams with fair rank.
From your post it is quite evident that CS will never be problem to you....not because of your physician father but because of your good english and extrovert character. ?.Americans like this.
But all of these good qualities can go against you during Interview...
if you interested to know more you can reply me in this thread....

hi jagriti,

why didnt u try for branches like surg/med/obgy from aiims/pgi.i am very certain u must have got a fantastic rank in 1st attempt at every indian entrance exam u gave in non reserved category, gl with ur career in u.s

Hi Awen,
why are you try to attack me personally, I just tried to help trozanraggy...about how to get a pathology residency in USA.
I was a very avarage student devasteted with personal matters during pg entrance...but got pathology somehow in a relatively good govt place...not in AIIMS, PGI. I was not eligible for reserved catagory.
But I was one of the best pathologist in my institution, I could never think of preparing for USMLE and working in teaching hospital simultaneously.
If you are from india you know the work pressure of a faculty in a govt teaching hospital with 250 undergraduate, 6 post graduate student snd over 2000 bed count.
The sincerity to work, good pleasant personality are very imp to get a residecy in USA for IMGs.
I think because of persons like you even the helpful Indians over here think multiple times before helping there fellow docs from India.

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-24-2014

@jagriti
my comment was because of the way u have commented on several posts.

besides that i wish to point out that there are lot of people who are multitasking and trying to make things work. there are many there who are working hard, still studying to further improve their c.v's sometimes in not so ideal circumstances (lack of money/personal issues etc etc)

gl with everything.

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-24-2014

Sorry awen, if I have hurted other's feeling by any of my comment. Can you please give me any example.
I really don't want to hurt anybody but one should know about the truth before embarking the game.
It involves so much pressure , time and money.
but still people want to hear only good things...I at least can assure you that I never lied.
I better be silent.
Thanks for your comment.