USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Old graduate 2002, do I have to repeat all exams - surabhi222 - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Old graduate 2002, do I have to repeat all exams - surabhi222 (/showthread.php?tid=779573)

Pages: 1 2

Old graduate 2002, do I have to repeat all exams - surabhi222 - ArchivalUser - 06-01-2014

USMLE STEP 1 score 210 two digit score 85 (feb 6th 2006)
USMLE STEP 2CK score 176 two digit score 75 (Jan 15th, 2003)
USMLE STEP 2 CS Passed (Oct 20th 2004)

ECFMG CERTIFIED March 2nd 2006

USMLE STEP 3 score198 two digit score 81 (May 2010) but I crossed the 7 year rule

Some one please advice, I did do residency, still struggling
Thank you and I appreciate your help

0 - ArchivalUser - 06-01-2014

I AM SORRY IN THE ABOVE POST, I WROTE A MISTAKE,

I DID NOT DO RESIDENCY

7 years rule is for ECFMG certification. and I think you are good to go. by the way I am also 2002 graduate still struggling. now applying for MPH.

Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it.

Down21

I see a huge difference in the scores for the recent test takers, for example step 3 score of 198(mine ) is no where closer to those who have a 81 percentile

In future if we ever apply to residency programs, how do they interpret these old scores.

I spent so much effort and time in my life to take these exams, took all the exams, but still no luck.

I have a colleague who finished MPH and doing a Phd in MPH and planning to do teaching job at a university setting. She thinks this way it will improve her chances.

I personally feel like going for nursing, where i can do lot of bridge programs and eventually practice as a NP

0 - ArchivalUser - 06-02-2014

I don't think about increasing my chances now. I am trying to do MPH because I want to do a job, something respectable. Nursing is good and you can earn more . If your friend is doing Phd then she can work in so many areas why she is thinking about residency?

0 - ArchivalUser - 06-02-2014

I appreciate your advice and respect your decision.

Most of us spent so much time in finishing medical school and take the steps, feels so sad not being able to practice and do non clinical.

Doing residency kind of depends upon the personality I believe. Also if you plan to practice medicine or not I guess.

My friend flunked step 1, had lot of family problems, and she said that she will try taking usmle exams now because her credentials improved now w almost finishing her Phd program.

0 - ArchivalUser - 06-03-2014

@surahbi222

The minimum passing score for step 2 ck is 203 now, so your score of 176 (minimum passing score at the time?) is extremely low. The two-digit scores aren't reported to programs anymore (and they dont represent a percentile, just as a sidenote). Your problem will be to get any interviews with those scores. Have you got any interviews when you applied last time?

No you don't. When you pass step 3 you are done with USMLE exams.

I did get interviews in the year 2005, 2006 but didnt match. so much of money got wasted.

Every one told me to finish all the exams with in 7 years , and I finished step 3 in 2010 and I never applied to any program, b/c I got fed up and many family burdens started.

Now all the scores have changed and this is the situation for almost all the old grads who can't get into residency.

I do research but the payment is very low, I plan to do nursing and just settle in that field, may be like NP. 14 years of time got wasted.

These exams are so difficult to finish.

You dont need to retake exams for residency. If you match, you might have to retake when you complete your training and apply for full licensure.

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html