USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Family Medicine Applicants Gather Here... - diverticulosis - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Family Medicine Applicants Gather Here... - diverticulosis (/showthread.php?tid=788728)

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-26-2014

@ nomad1095
yog 2013, scores 219/225/cs (2nd attempt)/211, no visa needed, 2 plus years usce (carib grad), applied to over 150 pgms last 2 matches. This year to 100 pgms. no reserach or pubs

@missla

no offense but you have good scores. Is there a reason why did not match for the past 2 years? Also I have less scores than your with attempt in step 1. I haven't received rej letter from rush. Although I think its coming soon.

@drfp look at the FM residents for last year in most programs you wil see AMGS now.
Apart from the shittiest community programs.

I saw a trend in most places like this

3rd Year- MAINLY IMG
2nd Year - Mainly IMG 1 or 2 AMG
1st Year (meaning last years match) - Majority AMG and rest were From highly ranked Carrib schools...

Anyways time will tell what the story is. I am not god so i cannot speculate as to what will happen but based on the trends my bet is that FM is getting a less easier to obtain.

@missla this is my 3rd match too, Grad 2011 all US clinicals plus working in clinic now
difference for me this year is
Connections
Passed Step 3
Have 3 2014 Lors from Faculty physicians in FM

Yeah I pray for 3 IV out of my apps

missla,
your status is not bad at all except for 2nd attempt in cs. Did you get any interviews in previous years?

@ Jungle001 I
I think the cs attempt is worst than any other step attempt. I have been to sites that say they take 2 attempts on other steps and non on cs. I also know people have matched with attempts, so I might just be unlucky.

@drfp
I think your new LORs will make a difference once you have passed the program filters. Connections too will help for IV but not sure about ranking. I had an iv through connection from my first match, and the PD told me I was a great fit, but ended up not matching.

I think the process is largely based on luck for a low-average applicant like me. But nonetheless any attempt on the steps is a killer.

@ nomad1095 I got 1 iv through connection in the first match and 1 random iv at the end of iv season in the second match - probably after cancellations.

@missla i dont think the CS attempt is dragging you that much as your scores are good.
I see here you went to a carrib school.

There are MANY carrib schools, some like ROSS / AUA/ SABA offer rotations in Actual hospitals.

However there are others who setup rotations with PRIVATE physicians that have privileges at hospitals.
Those schools are often blacklisted on many state board sites. And this could be the reason why your not getting IV because i know for sure NY has a few "degree mill" schools banned.

What carrib school did you go to ? If you went to a school and did actual rotation in US hospitals like AMG's i think maybe something else is off in your app. But if you did those degree mill school rotations then it makes sense to me.

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-27-2014

@nanomax
I did transfer from one school to the other due to financial reasons. Although both carib schools I went to were not top, they have graduates who matched. Some of my buddies I did rotations with who had no attempts had many ivs and matched. I asked one PD what he thinks of my profile and he said changing schools would not have led to a no match. He thinks its bc of the attempt.

I have come to conclude that the process is predictable if you have very high scores with no attempts. If you are a low or average applicant, it solely depends on luck. If you have any attempts, it's even much harder. But then again, over the last 2 years it's been different. This year started up slowly, maybe it'll pick up.

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-27-2014

Totally agree on the luck part, plays a huge factor when there are red flags on the app, very unpredictable, but all we can do is do the best on our end and see where destiny takes us!