USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Family Medicine Applicants Gather Here... - diverticulosis - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Family Medicine Applicants Gather Here... - diverticulosis (/showthread.php?tid=788728)

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-27-2014

Rejection from Stamford Hospital. Acknowledgement from UAMS Little Rock. Silent inbox since then, except apologies from ERAS ;-)

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-28-2014

@Diverticuloses it is the agenda in the US to have all US grads and as many US grads match into the residemcies I have been through the speeches given. Honestly it sends chills down my back and glad not all PDs buy into this.

BTW nothing here
no rejections
no IV
no Ack

Waiting...... next week and after should be something

@drfp: The truth is we are living in the United States, the US citizens who are american school graduates are of course going to be looked upon favorably over IMG's. I'm not saying that there aren't better qualified IMG's or FMG's, but many PD's and programs want AMG's because they not only know the US system, but because they understand how hard it is to get into US medical schools in the first place. In the United States it is very difficult to attend medical school (I have 4 family members who attended US schools and are practicing now). It is more difficult to gauge a school from a foreign country whether it is the caribbean, india, pakistan, china, etc. Sure you can equalize yourself with board exams, but truth is the United States wants to match their own students in their own country if they can. It's simply how it is.

Now being a US citizen myself that went to a foreign school, I understand this. I'm not upset at PD's trying to recruit AMG's because I myself also know that's just how the system goes here. What we have to do is, and this may sound bad, but somehow find a field we like and do our best to get in where we fit in. As IMG's we are already limited to where we can apply (unless you are a stellar IMG or FMG) and we have to do the best with what we can. Just looking at the numbers for Family Medicine, there were no where near enough AMG applicants to flood the market per se; there were more than enough positions for IMG's to land a family residency position. We still have a fighting chance here, only thing we can do is hope for the best. The only problem I can see is if year after year someone doesn't match, because with new graduates coming out of school every year fresh from rotations, and new us medical schools opening up, it will only get more difficult for IMG's to compete. Just my 2 cents.

As for me:
Rejections: Univ of Montana, Rush Medical, Univ Wyoming, VCU Fairfax
Invs: None
Ack: Inspira Medical Center, Little Rock AK

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-29-2014

hope we get ivs this week!!!

i hope so the silence is killing me!!

I read that the skype IV are "preinterviews" screening for the real IV but 80% get an on site IV

nothing todayy so farr soooo stressfulSad

I think our mailbox will have more activity after Oct 1 when MSPE is released!

one way to get more fresh US experience is MA cert and work at Clinic. Get some hands on this way