USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
technically couldnt we run match TOMOROW? - scaredkinda - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: technically couldnt we run match TOMOROW? - scaredkinda (/showthread.php?tid=801204)

Pages: 1 2

technically couldnt we run match TOMOROW? - scaredkinda - ArchivalUser - 02-25-2015

if its all computerized.
technically the super computers could do it
and just run the match algorhythm tomorrow YES?
Very sad we have to wait another 19 days. im dying here

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-25-2015

error checking and QA

i wonder if they spend 18 days of hell checkin each and every applicant for errors

lets see

4000 in match.

222 per day. if they put 10 staff on it, thats 22 per day each person

wonder if they do dat

I don't believe they do that as that would defeat the purpose of running the algorithm in the first place. I believe they have test cases and check random samples. NRMP has listed some of their procedures on their twittter website.

no there are canadian in the match which need to go out march 5th

Good point, so technically they will only run the algorithm after March 5th.

Can you kindly explain to me what the canadians in the match have to do with running the match algorithm?

@teerocs : Candians who participate in both the NRMP match and the Candian match - CaRMS. They will have to get pulled out of the NRMP match if they match in CaRMS and I believe the algo is only run after that.... IMHO

@teerocs some people participate in both the canadian and the U.S. match. if they match in the canadian match, they have to be removed from the U.S. match algorithm as they have already secured a position in the other Match. when the canadian results come out, they are sent to NRMP which uses the data to removed those candidates from the Match.

They also double check all other candidates to make sure everyone qualifies to participate (i dont they have any issues wth this as the computer should automatically remove anyone who isnt "verified" but i think its just a QA sort of thing...computers can make mistakes!) They also run the Match algorithm twice to assure that there was no mistake made (again computer errors). They also do data analysis after the algorithm is run to create the "NRMP Match Statistics" which is released right when the Match is complete. and a whole bunch of other things they do in this time you can find on their website.

Still a bad long wait Sad

The Canadian Match CaRMS happens on March 4th. with no SOAP.

Now there are many Canadian Graduates and IMG who are Canadian Citizens who studied medicine abroad. What this means is this.

For instance. I ranked 7 programs in Canada and I match.

Now I had 10 IV in USA and I was ranked. all these positions will have to move up. so NRMP match alogrithim has to run again to move and renew the place of all the new people and old.

In a given year there is 20 Canadian graduates and Over 100 Canadian IMG that match to Canada through CaRMS.

Also you can not match in both countries. SO for years the CaRMS match has been happening before NRMP.