USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
psychi, mastery Q2 - nbmeq - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Step 2 CK (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: psychi, mastery Q2 - nbmeq (/showthread.php?tid=810903)

Pages: 1 2 3

psychi, mastery Q2 - nbmeq - ArchivalUser - 07-16-2015

A 20 year college student comes to student health services because she has been feeling terrible for the past week. She has been tearful and distracted since her boyfriend of 5 moths broke up with her 1 week ago. She feels that she has a lot to offer in the relationship and is sad that things did not work out. She performed poorly on a test 3 days ago and has not been sleeping well. She asks if she should get something to help her sleep. She usually drinks four beers weekly but she drank there beers 2 nights ago. She appears tired but well nourished and well groomed. Her pulse is 76, BP 110/68. Physical exam normal. Mental status, she is tearful when discussing her relationship but becomes bright and engaged when talks about her career plans and interest in art history . she thinks she is a good person and that hopefully things will get better. Urine toxicology negative. What is the most likely diagnosis?
A. Acute stress disorder
B. Adjustment disorder
C. Bereavement
D. Borderline personality disorder
E. Dysthymic disorder
F. Major depressive disorder.

0 - ArchivalUser - 07-16-2015

AA....less than 1 month and greater than 2 days

AA
in light of recent stressful event of break up w boyfriend byt still has positive /hopeful feel for future

may be B. Adjustment disorder

@captan wat is your diagnosis for this q

A 17-year-old young woman is brought to her primary care physician by her mother because of frequent complaints of headaches and stomach aches for the past 3 to 4 weeks. The mother tells the doctor that the girl has also been doing worse in school during this same time period and believes it is a result of the chronic aches. The girl has also missed many days of school because of her complaints. Mother has already taken her to have her vision and hearing checked, neither of which is a problem. On further questioning by the medical student, it is found that the young woman’s father is enlisted in the army reserve and left for a 6-month com- bat assignment in Afghanistan 5 weeks ago. He e-mails her several times a week, but the mother notes how much the daughter worries about him and whether he is safe or not. When interviewed, the girl also notes that in addition to her worries about her father, she also sometimes cries frequently and feels better when she talks to her friends. She occasionally has a bad dream about her father and feels she sleeps more uneasily as a result.
􏰀 What is the most likely diagnosis for this patient?

A. Acute stress disorder
B. Adjustment disorder
C. Bereavement
D. Borderline personality disorder
E. Dysthymic disorder
F. Major depressive disorder.

if I m wrong, pls correct me.
ASD and PTSD are the same spectrum of disease only time is the factor. and key symptoms are flashback, avoidance of stimuli and increased arousal. here it is absent.
Adjustment disorder- stressor is present but outcome is not big rather seems normal. she became bright when future plan was discussed. and she hope will get better. and loosing emotional partner is a kind of grief. so, can it be Bereavement (B) ?

thanks for participation.

i don't know may be is Bereavement,she is worrying about father ,sleep difficulties........

@ captan.
can you pls read my previous explanation and comment on it.
thanks.

@ nbmeq - you comment for q 1?

ASD and PTSD i agree with you ,but i am confuse between Adjustment disorder and Bereavement

breavement is always severe grief with death of relative /spouse etc