USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 (/showthread.php?tid=814564)

0 - ArchivalUser - 10-20-2015

I have 3 family medicine letters, 3 years exp in primary care but my problem is yog 7 years. I wonder if they don't like old img why they make us apply to exams and go through all this pain and waste all these years.

@jojo2013 yes YOG is a problem when I was in KC this past year a lot of programs want 5 and or 3 years or less out of medical school. Some didn't care. Problem is knowing which ones.

Those who want to match and need to reapply next year arrange to go to the AAFP KC convention next year and talk to the Program directors there

This is the first time i am posting here.Just wanted to share my experience.

I have average scores 220-230s and i had geared the entirety of last year making my application stronger for FM. My LORs, observerships , volunteering and research all revolve around FM.

I applied to IM and FM almost equally, not hoping much from IM because of my FM centric profile and i have ended up with 2 IM IVs Allhamdulillah.

From this maybe i can infer that if you are 2+ YOG,with my score range then you have much better chances in IM than FM even when all your experience screams FM.

They say that it if you don't have great scores then you have a chance in FM, that really doesn't seem to be true.

I applied to some IM too but my scores are not that high

Then what on earth are FM ppl looking for??!!
I only applied in FM, that's my only passion, chance & hope... I think I'm screwed badly Sad

FM is my passion too, i think their first, perhaps only priority is recent grads.

isn't 2013 a recent grad ??

I guess more recent then? Within 2 years is what most prefer.

I cant see any other reason why FM, cannot offer IVs when IM can. IM has conventionally been more apologetic to YOG.

@mahr90:
Within 3 years
LORs strong from FM docs one from a Residency program Director if possible
Strong Clinical Experience in FM
Strong PS about FM

then the rest is Luck

Alright guys this is for you guys that are losing hope. I have had friends with 0 interviews and suddenly in December ended up with 3. Yes this is a tough process and every year it gets more and more difficult but remember there are some ppl who I know who have graduated 4 years ago and just matched last year. There are people who are applying for the 3rd, 4th or even 5th consecutive time and end up matching. So the moral is yes have an application geared strongly towards Fam med and yes luck does kick in...but at the end of the day if this is what you want then keep fighting. It is only mid-Oct the game is just starting...we are all going to have to fight until January. So heads up and positivity! Smile