USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 (/showthread.php?tid=814564)

0 - ArchivalUser - 12-09-2015

I find that number of 45% suspect, I may look into the numbers myself

You are saying that IMGs match into FM at a higher percentage than IM.

I'm not saying that at all, Please don't misquote me. I'm saying that AMGs may be ranked ahead of you, but they pick more competitive locations and you can still match I'd you interview at a place with AMGs. I think IM is about 49 percent AMG historically. Forgiveness if I don't remember the hard figures.

So using the Data tables from last year

FM offered 3195 Filled 3095

FMGs filled at 1046 Match rate of 34% not bad

US Grads then is 64%

I stand by my numbers (just looked them up): 44% of FM spots went to US seniors. 49% of IM spots went to U.S. seniors. The rest went to D.O.s, IMGs, or unmatched.

The problem with using that 44% is saying that FMGs are on equal footing to DOs and US medical Grads, they are not and the 34% FMG is from the same tables

its more accurate to post that FMG/IMG's matched at 34% into FM

Another way to also use numbers is:
FM 2015
44% went to US AMG Seniors
22% went to DO's and US AMG Reapplicants
34% went to FMG and IMG grads

This is the breakdown per the reported Data

Not sure why you insist on putting words in my mouth....

@doctornonstop people like me are desperate to match and when I saw only 44% AMG Seniors match, I knew there is more to those numbers because the NRMP and ERAS want to encourage us to apply and spend money.

I on the other hand always want the down and dirty truth, You posted the truth, but..........

US Seniors reporting is not the whole story

We know AMGs are golden in the system and the Match

US DO's are AMGs, MD reapplicants are AMGs, they have a better chance at matching then FMG/IMG in general

SO I looked and found your number and then said in the Same PDF from last year the reported matching for

IMG/FMG in FM was 34% not 66% which is the difference for AMG seniors matching in FM and all others

I then reported that 22% were DO and MD reapplicants

the true rate for FMG and IMG is 34%, actually not too bad

Its important to desperate people to see the truth in the reported numbers and break down

I have a 34% chance at matching in FM not 66%

Sorry to make you feel that way, I know you mean well

guys, your math works only in case that everyone matched. Don't want to be a party pooper, but I would say that chances to match are lower than what you are saying.

No need to apologize, I actually feel pretty good about my chances to match. Yes the numbers favor AMGs but the chances are better in fm compared to other specialties where 70% goes to AMGs. I think I'm going to get off the forum die a while in case this negativity is contagious.