USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 (/showthread.php?tid=814564)

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-29-2015

At the Kansas AAFP conference, Duluth and St cloud told me they don't sponsor visa The other 5 do

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-29-2015

@Clueymd Kansas AAFP was depressing when I talked to them.........my school is not on the CA list and I heard a lot of "You school must be on the list" even if the state does not require it.

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-30-2015

As far as I'm concerned .. Got 3 rejections , university of Minnesota Duluth , university of Illinois and university of Nebraska .. One acknowledgement from Stamford .. Now I fail to understand why everything is silent on my end .. I can see some activity everywhere around but it feels as if I never applied .. What it is , can anyone please guide .. Is it possible ; God forbids ; that my application is filtered at Every program ?? Severely depressed

Stats are not everything ( I do not see posting them as a help ) your personal statement is important, US LORS are very important, Family Medicine is looking for those who really want to be in family medicine and if your app does not reflect this well, you may be passed by many programs

@student1960 would programs send rejections to some applicants and silent rejections to others?

yes

@student1960, Stats DO matter. They just are not the only things programs look at. Think of it as a survey so we can retrospectively understand the selection process.

@tea feelings are mutual. Feels like i never applied either Sad Didn't hear a single thing for the past 2 weeks.. IDK what's happening.. Sad Trying to be calm & positive..

Hello all, this is my first message, but I have been reading your posts over the past several days and I feel like I can contribute, hopefully ease some anxiety (although I have plenty of my own), and just share what has been shared with me over the past year.

First off, I just recently graduated from a school in the states, so I am not a foreign medical grad, so if you do not think this is relevant to you then that's ok. My scores are not great, lets just say they are 200/215/passed, currently studying for step 3. I failed to match last year when I applied to another specialty.

I applied to around 40 programs on sept 15, and so far I've only heard back from 3, all invites, but it has been over 2 weeks and so I was/am getting nervous about not getting invitations. Past analysis has shown a 95% of matching if someone goes on 8-12 interviews. I spoke to my mentor and he told me the following:

1) apply broadly, apply to programs in small towns, apply to programs that are not considered 'desirable.' I am sure this has been stated over and over again, so no need to re-state it (even though I just did)

2) most programs wait for the dean's letter to make a decision. Most programs have 3 statuses (active, inactive, interview), and if you have not been rejected and it has been a while, then most likely you are on the 'active' list, they are waiting for the dean's letter and/or waiting for other candidates to reject interviews. I will say this though (which actually ties into my next point), I called a program in Texas to ask about the timeline of invites/rejections, and to talk to the coordinator to show my interest, and she told me some dean's letters are not THAT informative, and so that program does not usually wait for that letter to send a big wave of invites. This was unwelcome news to say the least. However, this was only 1 program.

3) at this point, or probably in the next week since they will be very busy reading the dean's letters, I would start calling/emailing program coordinators (notice I did not say directors) to show interest. I have done this for a few programs now, and some coordinators will just say "its all on a rolling basis" and nothing else, probably to try to get you off the phone, BUT some will actually ask for your name/AAMC ID and actually check on the status of your application. The few coordinators that did this basically told me I was on the 'active' list and to keep checking. One amazing coordinator told me to check back in 2 weeks if I had not heard back, so at least I have some hope for that program.

Based on what I have been reading, invites are coming in slowly but surely, hopefully this is the calm before the storm. Also, I noticed someone that also graduated in the states posted that he/she had a bunch of interviews and did not realize this forum was for mostly foreign med grads. Either that person is not very smart (it only takes a couple of lines above/below that post to realize this is mostly written by FMG), or that person is a show-off. Do not get discouraged by people like that, I am sure everybody here knows someone that LOVES to share how much they've accomplished and how much they know, Im sure they exist in pretty much every medical school in the world.

Hope this helped, feel free to reply, or not, it really does not make much of a difference to me. Sometimes sharing eases anxiety though, and its always best to talk to someone going or that has gone through the same difficulties. Have a great day and hope the next few days are busy for all.

@step2csbuddy I never said stats do not matter, I said "Stats are not everything" Family Medicine is different than IM, in Family Medicine they look for commitment to Family med and the LOR is very important as the PS.
Stats are screened but once they are then these are important more than the stats. Sorry but this is very much the case.