USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 (/showthread.php?tid=814564)

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-30-2015

@ usgraduate2015
I appreciate your input. Thanks for taking the time.

@student1960, think of the reason we are posting stats as a survey to retrospectively see what counts in interview selection. Maybe you know, but some of us don't and would feel more comfortable looking at numbers.

Actually, it'll be a prospective study. lol.

My point is once your 200 and higher first attempt for FM then you will not be screened out for interviews, then having a 250 may not matter since FM considers the whole application for a majority of programs, at least that is what was said at the AAFP Conference of Family Practice programs.

For those of us with no invites (incl me), how are you guys doing? I hear it's too early to call programs and I don't want them to be annoyed by me either (I imagine lots of people call asking for the same thing, if I was the phone person, I'd be annoyed).
This silence and wait is really nerve wrecking

Really should wait another 2 to 3 weeks since the AMGs are not getting a lot of invites yet, it just takes time

It's a bit nerve wrecking. I'll say this, last year I applied first week of December due to not getting my results until then for cs. With that said, applied to 40 programs, and received 2 invites still. So I'm guessing people are correct about then not doing too much until middle to end of October.

I don't understand. I know some IMGs who are getting invites .. so what's the difference b/w those IMGs and us? Is it the outstanding scores they have or what??
All this is driving me crazy already Sad :S

@mahr Well scores are a part of it. But family is about the whole application like student1960 said. The personal statement, the US LORs all weigh heavily. And then its just really hit or miss, if the program likes the applicant's file as a whole.

Got my first interview offer today. I don't want to say too much because I want to maintain a certain level of anonymity on the forum. I will say that (1) It was a pleasant surprise since I wasn't expecting anything until October (2) Scores don't seem to matter too much in this specialty. FM is all about relationships. Prove to program directors that you are interested in family (LORs, Statement, Community work, etc). Here's to more good news for all of us....Cheers