USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 (/showthread.php?tid=814564)

0 - ArchivalUser - 10-15-2015

@philoso I heard that AMGs prefer highly paid specialties and FM isn't one of them.. isn't this true?

@Philosoraptor,

I am a US citizen FMG. So going to a 'home country' is not an option for me. This IS home, and I totally agree with your thoughts.

I didn't go to the AAFP conference this year but I did a year ago. I said my hellos & mentioned my interests to all the programs, but in all honesty, it felt like they were there to recruit AMGs. They already know that FMGs and IMGs will be applying in volumes. Some program directors that were there treated IMGs differently than AMGs. It was surprising to see that at the time. If anything I felt discouraged by the end of my trip there.

Its all a mystery, but on a brighter not i emailed a program today and the reply specifically said they did not even start the reviewing process yet.
But what i dont understand is that some of us have 15 + interviews and other with similar creds have 0?? that disparity is very disturbing and its a mystery how that happens.

Also if this forum can be taken as a rough representation, then perhaps about 80% IVs have gone to 10 % of candidates ( also reflected in IM ). There are bound to be A LOT of cancellations.

I thought recent grads with an ecfmg certificate in hand would be stronger candidates. But it appears those that are currently completing 4th year rotations are receiving a greater number of IVs.

US seniors have always been more competitive and take the bulk of the positions ( NRMP match reports). The trend is catching up with IMGs too.

I think being in 4th year is hurting more than helping me. If I was certified, I could have applied to more programs. I hope you are right doublehelix, I think most of us will see more action between now and the end of the year. Right now, I'm trying to concentrate on other things just to keep my sanity. I think I'm going to limit my email checks to once a day.

@Jaygunjan,

Yeah I'm a US citizen FMG as well and yes, this IS home. I mean, sure I could go to India and practice, but that just opens up another can of worms. PG there is super tough and you are worked like a dog, much worse than here and the teaching sucks at most institutions. Even though I went to med school over there, I still felt like a foreigner most of the time.

I actually thought the programs were much more positive on the fate of IMGs, rather than the depressing lunch roundtable session. Most programs were happy to receive applications from IMGs, but whether or not they would invite them, is a different matter all together.

@mahr90,

That is true, but like I said, with the advent of Obamacare (No its not gonna be repealed folks, despite what the GOP wants to do), compensation is most likely gonna increase for primary care specialties (General IM, FM, and I think Peds falls under this as well).

What needs to be understood here is not the fact that primary care field is going to be competitive, rather there needs to be much more positions made available for FM, IM and Peds if there is a 'nationwide shortage' of them. Regardless of who picks up the allotted spots in residency, IMG or AMG, ultimately the number of graduates will remain relatively the same.

What needs to change is funding for more residency spots and programs. Sure they have been increasing but at a very slow rate.

@jaygunjan007

Write to your Senator or Congressman if you want spots to be increased. Then again, Congress is only interested in their own games. They don't give a hoot about residencies.