USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 (/showthread.php?tid=814564)

0 - ArchivalUser - 10-16-2015

By January programs are wrapping up interviews unless there is a random cancellation, then u can have a chance but until then I believe there is hope for interviews!

Hey all, this is my 4th time applying and here is my candid advice, heartbreaking, but true. The match has been very tough over the last couple of years. IVs will keep coming in and mostly towards the end of October and early November for most IMGs and those with "lower scores/not so favorable profiles". Don't expect a "big wave", this has not happened in the 3 years I have applied. There will be a few scattered ones in mid/end of Nov, Dec and Jan mostly from cancellations. If you need to contact programs or go through a contact, now is the time because in Nov you will start hearing "all of our spots are full" or "we are no longer reviewing applications".

What are we supposed to do? Wait patiently some IVs are still coming, contact programs if you need to (the worst you can get is a reject, but you can also get an IV), and make sure you start looking for work/research/observerships etc if you already have not done so. You should not sit at home doing nothing. I wasted 2 years just applying, doing observerships and waiting...wrong move. Go out there and get your hands dirty making your application look better because the competition is high (many applicants, small # of spots. I came to understand there is life outside of medicine and whether we match or not, life has to continue.

For me, I am doing my part and leaving the rest to God. I keep improving on my resume and apply each year and hope for the best. In God's time, I will match. We have all worked very hard to get to this point, do not be discouraged, God surely sees our struggles and will act in his time. The match is just like everything else in life, some people get through it like a breeze, while some struggle. For me, it's been a struggle but I will keep on. So keep your heads high, and think positively.

ANother thought, many believe retaking the USMLE to get a higher score after 7 years will work,

It will not your score is your score and if you passed 1st attempt that is more important than adding a attempt to your record............Yes it is not wiped clean after a time period it is still reported and if you retake all they will see is a second score and 2 attempts now.............. Taking step 3 and passing is a better option I think because you wait 7 years you also graduated Medical school a long time ago.

This process is very very hard

missla,

thank you for the advice. everything is predetermined. we have to reveal it day by day. at the end of the life, OH! my life is as such.
best of luck to you. hope you will match. 4 yrs --- that is a lot.

More stories like Missla's please. That's what this thread needs. Missla, if you don't mind me asking, where did you go to school.

missla story is compelling but the real part of it to learn from is

Contacts
Get real clinical Experience not obserserverships. Many programs now say they do not accept Observerships as clinical Experience.

@student1960

I was actually thinking about this, not that I want to do it. I think my step score may be a hurdle in my application. Do you have a source that confirms after 7 years, the first attempts will show on the records? It makes sense I guess, but just checking if you have a confirmed source.

1 interview invitation today from University of Kentucky. Otherwise very quiet this week. Try to stay positive everyone, and I thank those of you who have been kind enough to share previous experience and to help keep morale up.

What they told me about step scores is they are tied to your ID, if you go back to medical school and re register under that school you begin a new record. How would you deal with the YOG issue? By this time most programs will be blocking you because your such an OLD grad.

Getting contacts is the best way to get an IV

Any news today? seems quiet for end of week...