-nifutimox
-suramin
-melarsoprol
-sodium stibogluconate
-ivermectin
-diethylcarbamazine

All in FA under microbiology section for those who think I made them up Smile
pyrimethamine:

Pyrimethamine is a sulphonamide-type antibiotic that works by inhibiting bacterial and protozoal dihydrofolate reductase, thereby decreasing protozoal protein synthesis. Resistance may develop to its efficacy.
pentamidine:
Mechanism of Action -- Pentamidine decreases DNA, RNA, protein, and phospholipid synthesis. The exact mechanism of this inhibition is not known.Other Actions of Pentamidine include histamine release, which may cause severe hypotension. It is also toxic to the beta cells of the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas. This may manifest as an initial hypoglycæmia (caused by initial insulin release) followed by hyperglycæmia and the development of diabetes mellitus

Suramin :
blocks the binding of various growth factors, including insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I), epidermal growth factor (EGF), platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF), and tumor growth factor-beta (TGF-beta), to their receptors, thereby inhibiting endothelial cell proliferation and migration. This agent also inhibits vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)- and basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF)-induced angiogenesis; retroviral reverse transcriptase; uncoupling of G-proteins from receptors; topoisomerases; cellular folate transport; and steroidogenesis.(
diethylcarbamazine :
reduces the number of intrauterine Onchocerca volvulus microfilariae by inhibiting the rate of embryogenesis; this agent also increases the rate of loss of O. volvulus microfilariae from nematodes and nodules; diethylcarbamazine has no sterilizing effect on adult worms.
sulfasalazine
Action
Locally acting anti-inflammatory action in the colon, where activity is probably a result of inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis.

pyrimethamine
Action
Binds to an enzyme in the protozoa, which results in depletion of folic acid.

pentamidine
Action
¢ Appears to disrupt DNA or RNA synthesis in protozoa

¢ Also has a direct toxic effect on pancreatic islet

thanks guys Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »