Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q about counselling - kyr
I dunno what to say during conselling. It is said, discuss initial diagnostic and management plans. Do I be aspecific and tell the SP,
u need CBC, LFT, USG etc----, or just say need to run a few tests. About diagnosis, should i say i am considering hepatitis, this and this----.

Also, stuff like HIV testing, life style modifications etc, can someone help.
u might say that which organ system is involved, what is the patholgy and what tests will be required, what is expected from patient in the meantime, and when can he follow up.

like i think u have viral infection of the liver, we need to do a few blood tests and USG and in the meantime we will provide u medicine for ur vomiting and u should abstain from undue exertion, alcohol. We will discuss everything again when ur results are back, do u ahve any concerns or questions.

i think u have heart problem in which ur heart is not getting enough blood when u r exerting due to partial blockage in blood pipe supplying ur heart. We need to do few blood tests to know the extent of damage, and an ECG and then we might have to visualise blockage using special type of x rays after injecting dye into ur blood vessels.

what if u have Cancer on your D/D, should you tell them that.
On an average, how long to spend on counselling.

ideally 3-3.5mins.Its very imp.ajeet said it well dnt give medical details but in layman terms.

i just passed the exam ....i was to the point .relevant explaination not too detail ...just which organ involved mostlikely i think its due tososooo.....but to confirm my diagnosis need to run sme test like ...blood sample urine ..or heart recoerding or ultrasound.once the results are back we shall sit together and discuss more in detail about your problem but now i wil prescribe you a pinkiller etc to reliveyou from your trouble....etc
in the end do you have any qs for me.....i hope i have anwered all your qs..
take care goodbye!
hey thanks archie, congratulations on ur result.

Thanks for the advice, pls tell me should we tell them the word Cancer or not.
yes u should if there is high likelihood but also u should say that there are other diagnosis that might be equallt posssible, u will have to run few tests in regard to whether it is present or not . Only then u will be able to tell u.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY U SHOULD ASK FOR SOCIAL SUPPPORT OF SUCH PATIENTS AND WHETHER THEIR NEAR AND DEAR ONES STAY WITH PATIENT OR NOT IN HISTORY GATHERING ONLY.

Then u might be able to suggest that u might come with ur wife or son or friend if u feel like for ur next appointment.

U should be ready for difficult situation like patient might turn mute in which situation u should show empathy by saying that " I know its tough and we are not too sure before we get the results, whether it is cancer or something and it might be treatable also."

OR patient might ask u whether i m gonna die, then also u can use the above sentence.
Thanks a lot.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »