oral glucose challenge - saonew
hmm yea i was confused between a and e
Smile)
thanks sao
sorry i have to check the answer plz discard E
hehe then what is it??
sorry folks, i am zzzzzzing

The answer is A.
Unless a person is a member of a low-risk group, screening for gestational diabetes should be carried out in all pregnant women.

Low-risk patients for gestational diabetes include those<25 years of age, with a body mass index <25 kg/m2, no maternal history of macrosomia or gestational diabetes, no diabetes in a first-degree relative, and not members of a high-risk ethnic group (African-American, Hispanic, or native American).

If a patient has an elevated 1-h glucose level after taking 50 g of oral glucose, then a 100-g challenge should follow.
If elevated values of serum glucose are noted at either the 1-, 2-, or 3-h time point, measures to control the gestational diabetes should be undertaken.

Those with gestational diabetes are at an increased risk of preeclampsia, delivering infants who are large for the gestational age, and birth lacerations.

Dietary measures are usually sufficient to control most patients with mild gestational
diabetes.

However, those who cannot maintain fasting serum glucose concentrations<5.8 mmol/L (<105 mg/dL) or 2-h postprandial glucose concentrations <6.7 mmol/L
(<120 mg/dL) should be treated with insulin.

Oral hypoglycemic agents are contraindicated in the treatment of gestational diabetes.

Importantly, those women in whom the diagnosis of gestational diabetes is made should be followed in the postpartum period for the development of type 2 diabetes, which is common in such patients.

Thanks all i apologize for posting the wrong one
thanks sao
yes pashna u were correct.......
i guess i was thinking more abt reprecussions in the baby ..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »