Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cat bite - zosima
pt is allergic to penicillin . antibiotic of choice ???
doxicicline if the patient is older than 9 years old otherwise give him ( her) erytromycin
hadn't the pt allergic to penicillin the correct antibiotic is amoxa-clavulanic acid to cover pseudomonas and pasteurella multocida.( not erythromycin ). am not well convinced with doxycilline for same reason.
in general
for penicilin spectrum if mild alergic could try I-II gen cephalosporines, if high risk allergy vancomicine
for cat bite specific I don't know but I will serch

Drug Category: Antibiotics -- Proponents of oral antibiotics are in two camps: amoxicillin/clavulanate therapy versus amoxicillin and cephalexin therapy. Amoxicillin/clavulanate is assumed to cover staphylococci and Pasteurella species. A single medication taken 3 times a day should have good compliance. Two-drug therapy of amoxicillin and cephalexin seems to offer better coverage but may result in poorer compliance. Five days of prophylactic antibiotics generally is considered adequate.

Patients who are allergic to penicillin may use cefuroxime (cat), doxycycline (cat), erythromycin, or trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, although these are less effective. Clindamycin plus ciprofloxacin (adults) or clindamycin plus trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (pediatrics) may provide better coverage. Azithromycin may be an effective alternative because of high tissue concentration.
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic60.htm
the article deal with the whole mangement but i think we are waay to in detail for step2
my applogies it is satph not pseudomonas thanks bogdan ! great
wellcome!
bogdan lets keep the spirit high !
yuuuuhuuuuuuu!!!!!!
is it high enough??!!
BTW I post my opinion on psycho
it is not high enough
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »