Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scrambling in residency chances - need2match
hey guys do i stand a chance to scrambling my way into a residency this year, either in Peds or FM, or maybe even IM.

credentials
img - us citizen
step 1 77 - 3 attempts
step 2 82 - 2 attempts
csa pass first attempt
1.5 yrs USCE
6 month work experience (start right after graduating in april til now)
april 2006 grad
strong US lors
4 months research experience at community hospital

what are my chances....pls i am ready to go anywhere, as long as i get a residency.
someone pls give me advise or do u know anyone last year with similar credentitals that got in somewhere.
anyone with any realistic advice ????????????????????????
Hi
I think you have very good chances to get in . Why ?
first of all you area us citizen, and secondly you graduated in 2006 and the third reaon is that you have us clinical experinece and good letters of recommandation .
so it is my advice :
do not give up and you will get in .

Good luck
thanks famoli for your incouraging words. what about the rest of u guys. what do u think. i stand a good chance.
we are in the same situation. just don't give up. which state do you prefer? i'm really anxious and scramble is just 6 weeks away. good luck.
when you say 1.5 year usce, what does it mean??
did you do rotations or observeships?
Hi pals!

Pls. don't get frustrated:Real chance about getting a position in SCRAMBLE STANDS CLOSE TO ZERO. I faced the same thing last year.

REAL SCRAMBLE DAY SCENARIO: YOU WILL CALL THE PHONE NO-either the number will be busy or go to the voicemail. Fax will go through only 1 in 100 times or more. AND THE NO. OF UNFILLED POSITIONS WILL GET FILLED SCARINGLY FASTER ON NRMP WEBSITE.

Some advice (MAY HELP?):

1) Try to get last few years unfilled lists- look for the programs that have consistently unfilled positions. START CALLING THEM RIGHT FROM THE MOMENT YOU KNOW YOU ARE UNMATCHED-may be the guys at the other end will pick the phone up and talk to you.

2) If you have interviewed any place, try to have some extra phone numbers which may become handy when the scramble begins-as the programs may go for the known faces.

3) Look for connections- see if you can find anyone[RESIDENT FACULTY, ATTENDING] who knows you. Call them and see if they can recommend you to the PD.

4)COMPOSE A COMMON EMAIL W/SCORES, VISA STATUS, YEAR OF GRADUATION-SEND THEM TO ALL THE PROGRAMS YOU ARE INTERESTED[there is no harm sending the mail to the programs already filled up] @THE TIME YOU KNOW YOU DIDN'T MATCH.

5)PRAY FROM YOUR HEART.EVEN YOU REMAIN WITHOUT A POSITION, MAY BE THAT'S THE BEST FOR YOU AND GOD KNOWS WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU.

THE MOST FRUSTRATING PART OF THE SCRAMBLE IS THAT IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE AN OPPRTUNITY TO TALK TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE POSTIONS OPEN.

After going through the SCRAMBLE 2006-I took the prematch after my 11 interviews and cancelling the rest 8. I HAVE NO REGRETS EVEN THE PROGRAM I CHOSE WAS 16TH/17TH IN MY LIST.

HOPE IT HELPS A BIT!!!!!!!
hi drprabhu - my 1.5 yrs of USCE are all rotations done here in the USA ( my 3rd and 4th yr) of medical school completed here in USA - like the caribean schools. all core and elective rotations done here.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »