Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused: Advise on taking step1 and step2 - drsmsin
I want to go for residency in 2009. I am thinking of taking step 1 in Jan 2008 and step 2 in July 2008? I am an old graduate doing PhD right now. Can anyone please suggest me whether it will be enough time to prepare for the exams??? I haven't applied yet.
To make it to the 2009 match, finish at least your CS before August 2008. SO move your Ck to an earlier date. Better if you finish step 3 in the same year also, if you're an IMG.
finish step one by latest nov 2007 ...thers enugh time...study til dec 4 cs... try and schedule observers 4 then.give cs in jan...give ck in may...step 3 by august latest wit another observers if its reqd alongwith ur phd qual...if ur an american grad cut out the observers time and finish step 3 a mnth earlier as u dont need obs....
Dear virtuoso_pianist and missincere,
Thanks for the replies. I use to think that I need to take step 3 after starting the residency. I am 1993 IMG and was out of clinical touch since last 10 years. It took me so many years to convince myself that I can probably take it as a challenge. I am just beginnig to study. I don't know how much I will get done. I am stressed out thinking about it and scared about the future so just delaying the application process.
I am a clinician, IMG too, would advise that you take step 1 by Oct-Nov 2007, then take Step 2CS by Dec 2007-Jan 2008, and the step 2CK by Aug 2008. That way, both step 1 and 2CK get about 6months each and you'll be in time to apply for the 2009 residencies in Sep-Oct 2008. Make sure you have your Step 2CS results latest by July 2008. Step 2CS is really easy, don't waste more than 1 month into it. Take Step 3 by Nov-Dec 2008, and you'll be eligible for H1 visa for 2009 session. You have ample time, in which to take all exams comfortably. All the best.
Thank you so much munna. That was really helpful. Only problem is I have no clinical experience in last 10 years so I am worried about Step 2.
I can understand, and say that you practise the step 2 CS cases on a mock patient- sibling/ spouse etc, that way you'll be able to recall the steps of examination easily. In the real exam, you have to anyway act, don't need to palpate the abdomen looking for organomegaly, just touch lightly here and there, and it's done. Spend more time on Medicine/ paediatrics/ gynae-obs if you have lost tough. ATB
Thanks for your advice. I appreciate
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »