Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
residency - anupam
Hi
Could anyone give me any information about the career in Radiation Oncology or Medical Oncology in USA? Do I have to do residency in Internat medicine to enter either of those fields or there is separate residency for those? If there is separate residency then how is the competition rate?
thanking you in anticipation
anupam
Hi,
Radiation oncology is a separate field..u just need a prelim year for that..That is ne of the most competitive specialties even among the AMG s..GL
Thank you very much.do u know about medical oncology?
Hey anupam,
Rad onc is a good field, lots of research opportunities, with a good future. A direct residency in rad onc with a prelim im year is highly competetive partly because of the number of positions available. Dont be discouraged, as an IMG (assuming u r one Smile )you can do IM Categorical followed by a fellowship in rad onc.
thank you Doodle
Yes, I am an Indian graduate. I did MD in Radiotherapy from India, MRCP from London,been working in UK for last 4 years (3years as Senior House Officer, 1 yr as Registrar in Clinical Oncology). By IM I think u mean internal medicine. I graduated in 1996 (now 33 yrs). Do u think I might get residency in IM if I clear step 2?do u know how to do medical oncology?
You will be able to get into IM, if u apply early in september, with the ECFMG certificate (step 1 ,step 2 ck and cs completed), and have step 3 ready before the rank order deadline to maximise your chances. Medical onc is also a fellowship after Cat IM (Internal medicine), either by itself or in combionation with Hem and Onc.
Good luck!
thank u doodle
Dear friends
about RT I'm a radiation oncologist from my home country and this year I applied many programs but never recieved any message from them ,you see I know everything about this field but they don't care because I'm a FMG....so based on my experince you'd better go through IM and then follow as hematoncology ;on the other hand what about the prelim IM that you must have before RT ,if you could not find that one even if you could find somewhere for RT you should have had a prelim. IM !!!! Difficult and not worthy spending time and money on it.
and the other most important experience is that they always prefer somebody who they know,somebody who had a research for a long time with them....
Thanks
Dear babak
I am sorry to hear your story. Do u think securing higher marks in step 2 gives u a better chance or it doesn't really matter? What u r doing now?r u applying for residency in IM?
thanks
anupam
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »