Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
behavor question - erer2006
A 50-year old man is diagnosed to have multiple sclerosis. In the morning, the surgeon asked the man his opinion on the surgical procedure and he agreed. In the evening, the man refused to give consent for the same surgical procedure. He is also disoriented to place and time. Is the
patient capable of making the decision?

Answer: no the patient has impaired capacity. MORNING DECISION SHUD BE UPHELD

Why the morning decision should be upheld? The truth (pt has impaired capacity) could be also true in the MORNING.
thanks, for the quick reveiw.
Pin,

1st, this is from the BS-ethics which I downloaded from this forum early this week.

2nd, I am asking whether the answer is true and why? thanks!
the answer is true,
you do have a point, and i thought the same, why his morning decision was not impaired. But , i dont know why.
hi in practical we have one patient,
who don't want an operation for her brain tumor. she made a decision when she is mentally capable. suddenly she deterioated and family wants to operate. she was very confused later on and say yes to all.
but we can not do operation, because she already made a decision when she is mentally capable.

so in this question, i agree with the answer. becuase this patient already made a decsion and consented when he had mental capacity. so at the time he had no mental capacity, his previous dicision shoujld be maintained.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »