Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
time required for step1 -
yogi

dear friends
i am graduated 10years ago, i applied for step1 test, since i was busy with job, could not read a singlepage. now i post poned my slot to oct nov and dec. i have to take the test before dec 31, i have only four months time, i just want to read kaplan and first aid. suggest me how to plan and go about giving the test.
thanks
yogi
curious

hi
kaplan is great for step 1 but u need at least 3 readings to know the stuff in that....FA is really good...i'll say u sud learn it in n out.FA is really helpful...
also do as many q as u can n know exactly what is the q n why is the answer correct..

4 month's sud be enough..do take q bank for practising q....use it as learning tool .read each q n its ans.

all the best...
may god bless u...
drcmas

If you graduated 10 years ago, I guess you should be needing some better review than FA. FA works best for new graduates as an only source. I suggest you use Kaplan notes, which I think are the best for old graduates.
DEV

I'm in the same boat and i plan to take my exam by mid -dec.

drcmas - by kaplan notes u mean...the live lecture notes (7books) OR the home study books (2 books)..

Which are more doable in 3.5 months..? I bought the 7 books from a friends. Obviusoly i didn't take the class...
Is it worth reading these notes by urself without any audio prep. or class lectures...I honestly don't have any time to do that..!
Yogi..i'm in the same boat as u...

DEV

what do u guys think about using the high yield books (Anat, Micro, neuroanat, bicohem, Beh. sciences, mol. bio + Immunology ) along with BRS for physio + path + FA 2002 + Q bank..

Pharmacology from FA..is that good enough..?
drcmas

Yes, I mean Kaplan Lecture Notes which consist of 7 volumes. This is the most varified method of passing/aceing the test.. As far as time is a factor, I think if you devote yourself to these notes, you can go through in about 2-3 months. Continue doing the Q bank with it. If it would have been less time inbetween(graduation and test), then FA was okay, but in this case my suggestion would be to use these lecture notes. If you are using the books alone, then replace Patho and BS with BRS for proper use. If you are also using Videos (what I am doing) then no need for any replacement. The total time of videos is 168 hours which means that if you devote 5 hours a day you will cover in about a month. This is the ideal combination, I guess, for old grduates.
DEV

Thanks drcmas......do u know anything about the home study books - 2 thick books - one general principles (900 pages) and the other organ system based...(1200 pages)

Is oragn system the way to go..? I have tried reading the lecture notes but i find them very dry to read by themselves...
For the past one month i have been juggling books..and i am really frustrated now...i feel i am accomplishing little..!

Do u think it will be worth reading the lecture notes by themselves..Should i let go of all other sources..Of course i will do FA and Q bank...

I have a full time job and get approx. 2 hours / day to read during the week days....

Is high yeild a better and quciker approach...

I need ur help drcmas...did u take the exam already..

Thanks
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »