Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME q -
pern

A couple married for 10 years tells their primary physician that they are havieng sexual problems. When the physician q the wife, she reveals that she was raped by her father throughout her childhood and has never had a satisfactory sexual experience. The most correct response would be to:

a- Refer the couple to a professional therapist

b- tell the wife to relax

c- advise her to masturbate to demostrate that she has a normal sexual response

d- describe to both of them the physiological changes of the normal sexual response cycle

e- provide them with sensate focus exercises
simrin

I would choose A -- but I am not sure if thats correct. My reasoning is as follows:

a- Refer the couple to a professional therapist

b- tell the wife to relax - if the physican does this it might downgrade the feelings of this women or make her problems seem unimportant. I dont think u can just tell someone to relax when they are opening up something like this to someone else.

c- advise her to masturbate to demostrate that she has a normal sexual response - I dont think this would be the answer either because maybe the women has some mental or psychiological issues she needs to deal with first. This is another reason why I think A is the answer. Remember - number one reason for females and men to have sexual problems is all psycological of any nature!

d- describe to both of them the physiological changes of the normal sexual response cycle - again this is not going to help her mentally, if she is not stable mentally and not comfortable with sex then none of this will help her.

e- provide them with sensate focus exercises - same reasoning as above, she needs to be mentally balanced first before she can worry about anything else. Maybe in this case the reason she is not having a satisfactory sexual experience is because during the experience she is reminded of the harm her father put her through, she needs to deal with that first.
Rav

A--looks about right but kinda scary since referring on the USMLE is not a good idea in general but the wife seems to have serious issues here.
naseer - naseerzia

from where can i get NBME Q.????would someone guide me..plz
simrin

Pern, whats the right answer?

and for the person who asked about where to get NMBE questions -- go to

https://external1.nbme.org/nsasweb/servlet/mesa_main
pern

Simrin and Rav you gave the perfect explanation and correct answer...........the correct answer is A.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »