Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring to another IM as PGY2- impossible? - gleevec07
Hi ppl,

I'm ECFMG certifiied, and now as PGY-1 IM prog I enjoy overall, but really wish there was more organized and structured teaching. It has some fellowships, but not the one I'm considering. How feasible is it for me, from a univ-affiliated comm IM program, to transfer into a better IM program? Has it been done before? Do only a few programs accept incoming PGY-2s? I haven't taken Step 3 yet. Comments, thoughts, advice is all appreciated. Thanks.

Judging from previous posts here, and common sense - how is transferring to another IM program for pgy-2 possible, when it would likely make your program director unhappy?

And do other programs accept your pgy-1 year as valid experience, or do you have to repeat your intern year once you transfer?

I'm asking because even a fellow from our hospital advised that I try my luck to transfer out after first year, to a place less brutal in workload, and more teaching oriented. Any thoughts, guys & gals?
Necker, apurva, vitriol, anyone else who's already resident, your input would be highly appreciated. Thanks again
C'mon guys, somebody has to have SOME input on this matter. Not even ONE reply?
mostly they go back to PGY1 in different but better program. That's what I heard. I don't know exactly.
it is possible but very tough. U have to be sure that the change is what u really want and be ready to take the risk of not getting into anywhere after leaving your current program. Your residency is what you make of it----if u really need to leave, start writing individual programs by Nov for possibility ofopening in their PGY2 year. Tough but is possible. Be sure you really need to leave ur current program. u cld end up with a worse program or worse still, no program at all.Best of luck.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »