Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
for drmnsgowda and anybody else -
matoka

Hi everybody !
I need your piece of advice as soon as possible.
The day after tomorrow I'm starting studying Biochemistry, followed by molecular biology, genetics and finishing with cellular biology.
Do you think : 7 days for biochemistry, 3 days for mol. biology, 1 day for genetics and 1 day for cell. biology are more than necessay to asimilate them ? I mean to study them from morning to night. These are certainly the most delicate disciplines of the step 1 exam and I've never known them properly, practically I have to start them over, especially biochemistry and mol. biology .
I have only Lippincot for biochemstry and mol. biloogy and also Kaplan homestudy which contains all the four disciplines mentioned above.
From which of them do you honestly advice me to study ? I know that the biochemistry by Lippincot is considered to be great and the best one, but on the other hand I feel I will never finish it, it's indeed a time consuming and unfortunately, I'm a slow reader, I may risk to get stuck in it and abandon it before finishing it. I know that not all the information in Lippincot is strict necessary for mastering the biochemistry; in order to sort, to select only the important information and the high yield, I should read all the book. I'm afraid of dropping it out prematurly.
Once again, what is the best solution in regards to studying all these disciplines ? How long did you study them, you guys who passed step 1 already ?
Thank you for your advice.
matoka
matoka

Hi everybody !
Nobody has written to me so far, just a friendly advice.
I'm still waiting for your answers.
matoka
RR

Hey Matoka,
I'm pretty sure i saw the reply by drmnsgowda yesterday to your query about biochem &now it isn't there.
Personally, i think you should stick to kaplan since biochem from the kaplan notes seems to be pretty detailed.Lipincott is a good book, but is extensive.whenever you have some doubts in the kaplan notes, look up lipincott(just for your doubt).Btw,how do you study from morning to night,& if you don't mind plz tell me so, that i can have an idea as to how everyone is studying here.Bye
nerve - nerve

Hi matoka I have not yet taken step1 so I dont no for sure about reading Lippincott for final review. but as drmnsgowda said kaplan for mol.bio & biochemistry is enough. go through the link he has given for genetics, biochem. those Q are wonderful.I nucleic acidQ are also great. GL for your Exam. regards nerve.
hehadoc

don´t be so extensive. do more questions about the subject you want to reinforce..
drmnsgowda

hello matoka,
i had written in detail about the biochemistry preparation. but to my surprise it is missing in the list. i donot know how such things happen. my answer was essentially same as that given by nerve. prepare for the best.dont take any chances.its all or none.good luck.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »