Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eb222 - pawan
hi eb222
thank you for the qs
i want a favor from you
can you provide us with ans of the qs you posted before those bichem metabolic qs

alarmed mother rushes her 3-week-old infant to the Emergency Room after she discovers that the inside of the baby's diaper is bright blue. The mother denies feeding the baby anything blue. The infant is otherwise well and has no other medical problems. Based on these findings, which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?

A. Copper poisoning
B. Hartnup disease
C. Ingestion of food coloring
D. Pseudomonas infection of the urinary tract
E. Tryptophan malabsorption

During fasting and starvation, fatty acid oxidation in liver mitochondria facilitates gluconeogenesis by

A. supporting the phosphorylation of ADP.
B. forming acetyl CoA for the synthesis of glucose.
C. reducing FAD and NADPÉ .
D. transporting carnitine into mitochondria.
E. allosterically stimulating phosphofructokinase
E

Blue Diaper Syndrome is a rare, inherited metabolic disorder characterized in infants by bluish urine-stained diapers. The incomplete intestinal breakdown of tryptophan, a dietary nutrient, causes this disorder.

Hartnup disease is an autosomal recessive disorder caused by defective transport of neutral (ie, monoaminomonocarboxylic) amino acids in the small intestine and kiney. Patients present with a pellagralike skin eruptions, cerebellar ataxia, and gross aminoaciduria

Answer A.
ATP produced by fatty acid oxidation is used as energy to support gluconeogenesis.

B. Acetyl CoA cannot contribute carbons to the synthesis of glucose.

C. Neither FAD nor NADP are involved in gluconeogenesis.

D. Carnitine is not involved in gluconeogenesis.

E. Fatty acid oxidation increases ATP concentrations which inhibit phosphofructokinase
any time
Blue diaper syndrome is a rare, inherited metabolic disorder characterized in infants by bluish urine-stained diapers. It is caused by a defect in tryptophan absorption. Bacterial degradation of the tryptophan in the intestine leads to excessive indole production and thus to indicanuria which, on oxidation to indigo blue, causes a peculiar bluish discoloration of the diaper. Symptoms typically include digestive disturbances, fever and visual problems.

thanks eb222:-)
thanks a lot Eb222 nice Q and nice explanations...best wishes buddy...Wink
i just remember pneumonic for Hartnup disease COLA can anybody tell me full form
COLA
Cystinuria

Inherited defect of tubular amino acid transporter for COLA
Cystine,
Ornithine,
Lysine and
Arginine in kidneys.
Results in the precipitation of Cystine renAL stOnes (CALO)
Aimhigh i thot the pneumonic COLA was was for Cystinuria and not Hartnup.
Cystine
Ornithine
LYSINE
Arginine all of which are basic/postive amino acids
Hartnup on the other end is a defect with Tryptophan
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »