Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
still can't figure this out.. - ameoba
A 38-year-old healthy Caucasian man is brought to the emergency department because of sudden onset of shortness of breath and diaphoresis. He denies fever, chills, cough or abdominal pain. He has no other medical problems. He had surgery for bilateral inguinal hernia when he was 16. He does not use tobacco, alcohol or illicit drugs. He takes no medication and has no known drug allergies. His blood pressure is 110/60 mm Hg, pulse is 116/min and respirations are 28/min. He is in marked respiratory distress. Pallor and diaphoresis are noted. His skin is velvety and has multiple scars. On auscultation of the heart, an early, decrescendo, systolic murmur at the cardiac apex is heard; the murmur decreases with Valsalva maneuver, and increases with the grip maneuver, radiating to the axilla. The first sound is barely audible; the second heart sound is normal. A fourth heart sound is also present. There are bilateral crackles in both lungs. Jugular venous distention and hepatojugular reflux are present. The abdomen is soft, non-tender and non-distended. The neurologic examination reveals no abnormalities. The initial EKG shows sinus tachycardia with occasional premature ventricular complexes. The chest x-ray reveals no cardiomegaly, but bilateral alveolar infiltrates and hilar prominence are present.
Item 1 of 2
Which of the following is the most likely cause of his condition?

A. Acute myocardial infarction
B. Rupture of chordae tendinea

C. Pulmonary embolism

D. Infective endocarditis

E. Papillary muscle rupture

He had a bilateral inguinal hernia at age 16, skin is velvety & he has multiple scars. Obviously there is a collagen problem, may be Ehler Danlos, I would choose B.
this is a difficult UW Q. w/c i could not recall now what the correct ans was.

my answer is B
oh yes shakoo those are the clues
right the answer is B. shako i think you are great. now i can remember the answer Smile
the answer is B. coz acute MR is most likely due to rupture of teh chordae tendinae in the setting of acute heart failure. im not sure about ehlers dahnlos though. looks like a clear cut case of HF to me
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »