Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duckie -- why r u going for J1?? -
Zex

I am also going for the same..but not very happily.. why are u going for a J1??
To tell you, even if you want to go back to india after residency, H1 is always a better option. .. simply because.. we are going to US to become a good doctor.. we do not want all the hassles of a J1 visa bother us and distract us every year from our main target..
anyways... let us know when u get the visa..
GL
soso

hey dukie also tell me that is the J1 sponsered by the PD's and the ecfmg is the same....?

Why did u not apply for the H 1 VISA.....Did u apply for the programs sponsering the H 1 VISA or u went purely for the J 1 VISA ?

Please reply
duckie

I did all my exams in one year- Finals of my grad degree, Toefl, step 1 step 2 and CSA. I also got married, and had alot on my hands. I was so worn out that i couldnt muster up the strength to take the step 3, though i had the time, so i decided to go for a J1. Also, the program i wanted to go to was reluctant in giving me an H1. They were more keen on J1, so i took it up. I got the feeling at the end of my interview chain, that the worse the academics, the more readily the PD was willing to give an H1.
I kept the program educational criteria before the visa option. Who knows what the future holds.....
But i know that many people differ in opinion....
as i say, different things suit different people....
duckie

The ECFMG sponsors the J1, not the program. The program just furnishes the paperwork etc, and is the middle man between you and the ECFMG in the J1's processing.
The H1 is sponsored by the program, and takes upto 4000 USD. Sometimes (more often than not, ) the student has to pay this amount. - its mostly lawyer fee.
The J1 costs about 200$
zex

GL duckie..
Do u mean a US grad degree??
duckie

US grad degree? i am sorry, i didnt quite get your question? ;could you ask me again??
hi

i don't agree about the expense that duckie is talking about .. it can't be generalised. there are programs that pay for your h1 and you have to pay a fee but do not have to go to the hassel of finding a lawyer.
but i agree with duckie about being worn out. i had exactly the same situation. i took 5 exams in 2003 and also married in the middle. but i decided to take step 3 in 2004 and finish the exam business. now i am happy that there is no board exam for the next 3 years and i am having my h1 processed. i don't know what i want to do after my residency but i am having the option of immigrating open.. good luck to all
hi

it can't be generalised. there are programs that pay for your h1 and you have to pay a fee but do not have to go to the hassel of finding a lawyer.
but i agree with duckie about being worn out. i had exactly the same situation. i took 5 exams in 2003 and also married in the middle. but i decided to take step 3 in 2004 and finish the exam business. now i am happy that there is no board exam for the next 3 years and i am having my h1 processed. i don't know what i want to do after my residency but i am having the option of immigrating open.. good luck to all
Zex

How did u manage coming here , taking CSA , interviews??
duckie

of course, it cannot be generalized- nothing can!
But I feel that more programs are willing to offer an H1 if you are willing to pay the expenses.
I am talking of my own experience, and the majority of cases. The reason being, that one should be prepared- (monetarily and/or mentally!) in case such expenditure is required.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »