Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Match Tips for old grads by a 1988 Grad. - asc
1. Spend time & effort on resume and PS (make multiple custom PS) fill up your gaps, may do some volunteer work experience related to Medicine.
2. Brush up your communication skills and english accent.
3. Apply to IM/FM/Paeds/Psy
4. Research programs well before applying or use IMG-interactive web site. Dont waste money on programs that have a cut off grad date (very imp.) They will just filter your application and will not even reveiw it.
5. Focus and keep in touch with programs around your area. Call them. Visit them. Show interest. Send cards, flowers etc
6. Find good friends and contacts in a program that serves as a postive refferal.
7. Avoid an attempt on CS its the worst thing, other steps doesnt matter.
8. Pass step 3 before applying.
9. Apply Sep 1st with all docs loaded and scanned.
10. EAD/GC helps a lot.
11. Be optimistic, have faith and dont listen to people who say its hard for old grads. Keep away from their company.
Thank you for advices. Dint match at 1 st attempt this year. 1996 grad, 88/75/passed first attemts, neurosurgery residency at my country, 2 years research fellowship at Johns Hopkins, GC holder, no usce. Where can I find more information related to the programs, cut offs etc.
What do you mean by #7 Avoid an attempt on CS ? Can you please explain.
md71 try IMG-interactive a web site.

I did my program research by going to program web sites and making notes. I used this site http://img-interactive.com also. They were actually cheaper than others and served my purpose for selecting programs although I cant comment on other similar web sites which are more expensive.
Just add one thing: practice interivew with other people, not just memerize the answers by yourself. It is different.
doclester - I mean dont take CS lightly (as most people do) and try to get through in 1st attempt. A CS attempt indicates poor communication skills when compared to attempts on other steps and programs usually notice that instantly. So if you have not taken CS yet - prepare well.. Program dont want Interns that cant communicate effectively with patients.
Yes ! - try to get a friend and do a "role playing interveiw" it helps a lot later.
Thanks very much and congrads asc. What was you creditentials and where did you apply?
Which specialities are less competetive? IM is getting more competetive each year and according to NRMP statistics, this year more AMG applied to FP. What about patho and neuro?
Hi asc,
Thank you for your advice and congratulation on your success ! I'm an old grad of 88 and my scores are not attractive.I will give cs on may to july and step 3 on sept to dec. I'm working on medical field (coder- establishing the principal diagnosis for the patients admission and other co-morbid condition has to take care of during the same admission by
reviewing the patients chart,although no direct contact with patient or physician),working now in Franklin Square hospital center ,Baltimore. I need your active advice and support in #1 on resume and Ps. Please e-mail me msikdar2001 , if you don,t mind.
Thank you in advance and congratulations !!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »