Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to duckie or anyone -
usmle6789 - usmle6789

i am a fmg graduated 3 yrs back.i got step-1 98.step-2 i'm taking in september.i'm hoping to get a good score in that too.my csa is on october 27th.can anyone please tell about my chances of getting into OB/GYN programme.i'm planning to apply with my step-1 score only at the end of august.i dont have any clinical experiance in USA. thanks in advance.
medlaw06

Hello. YOUR SCORES ARE FANTASTIC! You should have NO PROBLEM getting an OB/Gyn spot. I am not sure how familiar you are with the American system of healthcare, but Ob/Gyn is the field with the HIGHEST legal malpractice rate, and the highest one for malpractice insurance. To illustrate, the city of York, Pennsylvania literally (at one point as recent as 2 years ago) had 2 OB-GYN IN THE ENTIRE CITY!!! The reason for that was because they were getting sued so frequently that people left. The average malpractice insurance for Ob/Gyn in York is somewhere in the low $120,000 PER YEAR!
This statistic is very similar to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which also has malpractice somewhere in the low $120,000.

I am not saying this to discourage you but only to reassure you that with yoru scores, you will DEFINITELY get a spot. the way I look at it is this: if you are good, you WILL NOT get sued! Obviously you are good, as your scores suggest. The reason why Ob-Gyn spots are not filling is because those that are average or below average are no longer going into Ob-Gyn. Since there are lots of Ob-Gyn spots, they get filled by the really good candidates, who truly want to go into Ob-Gyn. However. this still leaves many spots open!

In all, YOU ARE IN GOOD SHAPE...if you can get a 90 or above in step 2, you are VIRTUALLY GUARENTEED A SOPT...and at a damn good institution too!

Congrats!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »