Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Her sister has GRAVE's disease, what for herse - triplehelix
A---
aaa
cccccccc.....diff b/w graves disease nd postpartum thyroiditis
e??

i am not sure..but i think i read that...The usmleworld case on hyperthyroidism says RAIU as next step?

anyone read the uw cases on hyperth?
what is the ans?
A Serum anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies
correct answer is C.

This woman has developed thyrotoxicosis after pregnancy. The primary diagnostic distinction to be made is between postpartum thyroiditis and Graves' disease. TSH-receptor autoantibodies are present in more than 90% of patients with Graves' disease but are not present in patients with postpartum thyroiditis. Measurement of serum anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies and serum thyroglobulin levels do not distinguish between Graves' disease and postpartum thyroiditis. Anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies will likely be positive in both disorders, and serum thyroglobulin levels are elevated in both disorders. Antithyroid drugs are better reserved for confirmed Graves' disease in this setting, and that diagnosis has not been made. Radioiodine uptake will be low in thyroiditis and elevated in Graves' disease; however, radioiodine is secreted into breast milk, and the isotope most commonly used to measure radioiodine uptake (131I) has such a prolonged duration of activity that further breastfeeding is precluded.
aa
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »