Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was wondering if someone could tell me the diffe -
gheurs

I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between the splice donor or acceptor differences?
Meaning
I understood most of the mutations of proteins except this one so please can someone tell me the difference between the two?
I already know that they got to do with additions or deletions of a few amino acids all the way to deletion of entire axon I just don?t know what are the differences between the two?
The donor or acceptor type what makes one donor while the other is an acceptor?
babak - babakr@u.washington.edu

Gherus, the difference is just in the order, the 5' end is called the donor, and the 3' end of that sequence is called acceptor.
Hi

BabaK:

It's not Gherus...the name is gheurs..!!
docespy - docespy

look up splicesomes and proofreading vs required primers
in dna and rna polymerases and exonucleases
sos

gheurs:

I can understand your questions. All of the terms and so little time.

OK...here goes...

Prokaryotic cells have polycistronic mRNA. This just means that they can make one mRNA that can code for several proteins.

Eukaryotes can not really do this without some "processing". Eukaryotes can regulate genes with transcription factors, enhancers, silencers, "reprocessing" mRNA, and etc...

Your questions is regarding the "reprocessing" of the mRNA.
That is the job of the splice acceptors and the splice donors. I think of their job as a way to take the mRNA transcript and clip a region so that a different message is created.

I hope this helps. The classic example is the calcitonin gene. I can try to explain with the example is you still do not understand.

I remember the 5' splice donor and 3' acceptor because the 3' is the end that gets the poly A tail and it is also the splice "A"cceptor.

I hope that I have not confused you more!

Happy Studying.
question

if a 5' splice donor clips the end of an mRNA...could it also be classified as an exonuclease?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »