Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to how many programs would you apply ? - drpineal
IMG, Step 1 : 209/86, Step 2CK: 204/84, Step 2 CS result awaiting on October 8, 1 year of residency in Europe in neurosurgery, 4 pubmeds (2 first author), PhD of home country, 4 months neurosurgical USCE subinternship, 4 LORs (1US neurosurgery chairman, 1 US neurosurgeon, 2 European neurosurgeons), EU citizen-will need J1 visa, excellent mspe and transscript.

there is a total of 97 neurosurgery programs, I want to focus on 20-25, i know my scores are not extremely high, but they are also not bad, i want to apply for medium tier neurosurgical programs, not boston or the famous ones...

what would you do if you were me?
id apply to as many as you can afford! the more chances you have the better!
gluck friend.
i can only afford 20 programs. if my credentials are not good, i would not waste my $$$ to apply to the programs that have high criteria.
like 60 40 PF and 20 IM
graduated 2006 europe in family/ internal medidcine
step1 216/89-step2ck 256/99- step2 cs 2 attempts Sad( iiknow its bad sorry
2 LORs USCE and 2 LOrs universityhospit france and Only Publication in Infect Diseases 1st writter

waiting for credentials verification so not certfied yet
of course, dont apply to programs that you do not fit the criteria.
apply to as many as you can afford. if its 20 then so be it.

friends,

i could also afford more, but you know, i will get my cs result on october 8, what ould you do?
thought u were interested in Internal Medicine dude..
neurosurgery is really competitive. I'd apply to all you can.
drpineal glad to see you back and positive.

I think neurosurgery is very competetive, but i will tell you the same thing i told a friend of mine who is applying to a competitive specialty as well.

If its your dream, go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Apply wisely, choose programs that you fit the criteria for, also look at the fact that despite not having scores in the 90s you have a well rounded CV.

But also a bit of advice, you might want to apply to some gen surgery programs as well.

My friend really wants to get into plastic surgery, but knows it is competitive, so he is also applying to gen surg programs as well.

Because the first 3 years of the plastic surgery program is general surgery anyway, so he can apply for a transfer after 3 years, or re apply, and he would not have lost anytime in the process.

I am not sure if neurosurgery is the same way, but apart from ENT or Ophthalmology, i think all the surgical specialties have to go through general surgery.

At least that is how it is here in Jamaica

All the best

And its really good to see you again.

Tweets
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »