Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dear ally...(re winthrop) -
TheBee

hey ally...was wondering how did your interview with winthrop go today?? any thoughts...hmm..i'm still in 2 minds with the: go to a community hospital with good fellowships (and who help their residents to obtain good fellowships) vs going to a bigger university hospital who do not tend to be that personal in helping their residents secure fellowships...just musing..LOL..i have way too much disorganized time on my hands now that formal hospital work is done and over with!
Ally

Hi!
They were nice, people seemed happy. Most patients are private which might be considered undesirable by some. They offer very cheap housing which is nice, walking distance to the train to the city, the residents seem to have a social life. Apparently the faculty are involved and will support you to get a fellowship. They have everything in house except allergy immun. The interview is relaxed.
As for your dilema: it depends which university program you are considering. If I did not have to stay in the NYC metro (don't get me wrong, I love NY and wouldn't want to live elsewere but for the purpose of doing a residency it's not too great) I would definitely consider a Univ prog. In NY I've heard people complaining about the malignant environment in some univ programs, not sure if it's true...but certainly the pressure is higher. On the other hand, you will surely get a good fellowship if you are coming from a big name program.
I personally would like a more sheltered place with good fellowship placement, I loved LIJ and Lenox Hill as well as Winthrop. We'll see how it goes...hope to be among the 89% people who get one of their first three choicesSmile
GL
TheBee

thanks ally...glad you had a good experience!! we'll see how it goes...i might feel different after the interview trail Smile
i like the NY metro too...but three years in that busy city might be a long time...*grins*
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »