Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Verdict on prematches! -
mutu

What is the general consensus on what happens when an applicant doesn't accept a prematch? Do you think that a program won't rank you highly? The way I see it, each program wants the best applicants. Therefore, they have nothing to lose if they still rank you highly (because there is still a chance they might get you). and they won't go unmatched as long as they make their rank list long enough.
Any comments??
kabayan

Well, from what I hear is that programs in which you do not accept prematch position.. will not rank you high. The probable reason is that if you don't accept their offer then it means you don't really like the program..which makes them think you're probably going to another higher program (which is the real case)... It's like if you show interest in the program they will rank you, but if you don't show interest they won't..

But then again, this is just my assessment.
ejaz

i heard opposite from a friend
reject a prematch and then matched there
Ag

I turned down a pre-match but was careful to explain how much I loved the program but just that I wasn't ready to commit until I'd interviewed at all the other programs. It probably is my first choice program now, but I've got 8 more in January to consider and I'm hopeful they'll be even better. I think the only thing I'm risking is that all the spots at this program will be filled by pre-matches. I'm pretty sure if they enter the match, I'll still be ranked highly. They've invited me back for a second look and I'm going to go next month, which I assume they wouldn't do if they weren't serious about ranking me.
notty

Ag thats a nice way to deal with it!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »