Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pls ans nbme 5 - buspiron

42. A 25-year-old primigravid woman at 3 months™ gestation comes to the physician for her first prenatal visit. She requests an amnicentesis œto make me feel better that everything is all right with the baby. There is no family history of genetic disorders. Physical examination and laboratory studies show no abnormalities. The likelihood of finding an abnormality is low. The physician needs to balance which of the following ethical principles when deciding whether to grant this patient™s request?

A) Autonomy versus maleficence
B) Autonomy versus utilitarianism
C) Beneficence versus deontology
D) Beneficence versus maleficence
E) Deontology versus utilitarianism
aaaaa
what about D?theres no beneficiance here right?
Think it's D. Doctor has to weigh the benefits of an amniocentesis with the harm on the patient.
yeah
d is the possible right option
genetic abnormality could occur even without any family history and most of abortions during first trimester are due to this. But question is specifically saying that lab studies are normal, and that the chance of finding abn. is low. So iam assuming that q is indirectly saying there is no beneficiance. (But D could be ans not certain)

I am still considering a,

Autonomy is that we should respect the requests of competent patients.. like if a patient refuses treatment, we have to accept that though we know this is going to harm him.. likewise if a patient asks for an inappropriate treatment, we have to respect it and its our responsibility to explain her why its not appropriate.. so autonomy is definitely a point here..

Maleficiance is.. harming other people it could be a point here.. because the chance of harming here could be greater than beneficiance.. (? Invasive procedure +1 in 100 chance of abotions)

Not utilitarianism because it means œ the greatest good for the greatest number (I browsed this.. (I never heard these words before..!! wikipedia)

Deontology cant be right.. because.. its not moral.. focuses on the rightness or wrongness of actions themselves, as opposed to the rightness or wrongness of the consequences..(wikipedia) and I think that, anything that™s not moral has nothing todo with our exam..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »