Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lead poisoning - anuraj_81
best therapy?[a flashcard qs but I don' know the ans]
succimer
i read somewhere that succimer is preferred in children.what do u say drfaizii?

thanx for replying

it's an adult here.sorry I forgot to mention i earlier.
EDTA or dimercaprol
thanx hopeofglory.even penicillamine can be used.

does anybody know which is best-EDTA or dimeraprol?
chronic lead poison
In January 1991,dmsa> became the only drug approved by the FDA specifically for lead chelation in children and the only drug approved to treat a specific laboratory test, a lead level higher than 45 mcg/dL

for higher then 70 or encephalopathy use

edta plus bal

The most important treatment of lead poisoning is the separation from the source of lead

The following are indicated for the severely symptomatic patient with lead poisoning:
Begin an intravenous drip of normal saline.
Obtain laboratory work and imaging studies without delay.
In a child with acute lead ingestion, an orogastric or nasogastric catheter may be needed to enable intestinal irrigation with polyethylene glycol.
Do not delay with administration of chelation therapy to clear any pica from the gut. Immediately institute chelation therapy if lead poisoning is seriously considered. Simultaneous therapy to evacuate the lead-laden particles from the GI tract should be begun.

Lead levels in the blood are categorized into Classes I through V. Class V is the most severe and constitutes a medical emergency. The classes are as follows:

Class I: less than 10 micrograms per deciliter (mcg/dL)
Class II-A: 10 to 14 mcg/dL
Class II-B: 15 to 19 mcg/dL
Class III: 20 to 44 mcg/dL
Class IV: 45 to 69 mcg/dL
Class V: 70 or greater mcg/dL

greater then 70 you give edta plus bal or edta plus dmsa for cases without enceph

for enceph you give edta plus bal

http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14027051

wish we were there
he died so young

Children with lead toxicity may also be iron deficient. Such children are usually tested for iron deficiency and treated with iron supplements, if needed.

. > 70 needs hospitalisation
thanx showman
thanks
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »